Cannondale F6 Project

wowtaylor
wowtaylor Posts: 75
edited August 2015 in Your mountain bikes
Recently I have come to realise that my Cannondale Jekyll is a bit overkill on my local trails and not really a bike I want to be dragging through another winter of knee deep gloopy mud so I decided to build one more fitting.
I bought this as a full bike from my brother sometime last year and robbed it of all t's parts for another bike frame I bought on eBay. The frame was tossed to one side and the bike I built was sold on when I bought my Jekyll. A few times I have almost left it out for the scrap man but I'm glad I kept hold of it now.
The paint was in poor fettle and the scheme was ugly on the eye so I decided to respray it. I started stripping it on Tuesday with some cheapo paint striper from B&Q imagining that it would only take an hour or so. I am not sure the stripper's intended use was for powder coated things but after 5 days and around 10 applications, it's completely stripped it.
I'm unsure about what colour to go with at the moment. I have been toying with the idea of, satin black with gloss black decals and a tasteful amount of gold anodised bits, bright green with red bits or yellow with blue bits. I'm open to suggestions on what would suit it best.
It will have mainly new parts but the more expensive bits like wheels and forks will be second hand.
IMAG0495_zpsnop1edlf.jpg
IMAG0498_zpskuaujsxs.jpg
IMAG0502_zpsyqsbopzt.jpg
IMAG0505_zpshmhy5azf.jpg
IMAG0507_zpsjwxruv7q.jpg
IMAG0511_zps1ldbnu2y.jpg

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Looks like a good project and I particularly like the sign on the wall
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    If you build it with the seat post where it is in that first pic its going to get awkward.....
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • That's a fantastic badge on my wall.. MOT!!
    My 4 year old son put the seatpost in there. It's just some old seatpost that I used for leverage to get the old bottom bracket out.
    I completely stripped all the paint and sent it to a local powder coaters and they only quoted me £15 for the job.... bargain!! :D
    I'll see what the quality is like when I pick it up in a bit.

IMAG0515_zpsfqv5cm4e.jpg
  • The guys from the powder coaters did a brilliant job! :)
    11903577_10205026093560313_745082273_n_zpsvnclouvx.jpg

I'm well impressed. I was worried they wouldn't get the satin as I wanted it but they nailed it!
    IMAG0543_zps0fdvfxdq.jpg

IMAG0545_zpsqge3qz7x.jpg

Does anyone know what these little fellas are called? And, where I could get some from? They hold the gear cables and brake hoses in place.
    IMAG0550_zpsqbt0rp76.jpg

These are my other bikes...
    IMAG0519_zpswaxhqbtc.jpg
  • Cheers bud. I have ordered some now :D
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    Cool project, look forward to following its progress..

Amazing value on the respray :D

I fancy doing something similar in the next few months to make use of all the bike parts i have kicking around, i have everything i need except a frame, just trying to decide if should go full-suss or hard-tail..
  • A little update. I bought some cheapo RST Deuce forks. After a little mess about with them I got them working quite nicely. I'm going to strip them down and have the lowers and top piece powder coated then rebuild them with decent oil and grease and try and source some new dust seals. I reckon they'll be okay for what I want to use it for.
    IMAG0584_zpsfxj9oank.jpg

And the decals and bottle cage bolts came today! :D
    IMAG0581_zpsntfdlujp.jpg
    IMAG0587_zpsqfu7xobn.jpg
    IMAG0588_zpssfmcrzoa.jpg

I've decided to use a subtle amount of red anodised bits so it doesn't become a theme of the bike.
    Next is fork strip down. :)
  • Cool project, look forward to following its progress..

Amazing value on the respray :D

I fancy doing something similar in the next few months to make use of all the bike parts i have kicking around, i have everything i need except a frame, just trying to decide if should go full-suss or hard-tail..

It's quite a lot of fun. I have next to no money these days so I can't afford to knacker my main bike up and I can't afford a new one. This keeps me busy with eyeing up parts and at the end of it, I'll have a nice bike out of it.