Shimano Alfine DI2 removing wheel

tyards
tyards Posts: 2
edited October 2015 in The workshop
Hello,
I have recently purchased a Genesis Day One Alfine DI2 for commuting to work and have been trying to practice removing the rear wheel in case of puncture etc. I've been struggling to remove the rear wheel.
The main issue I've had so far is I can't get enough slack on the chain to pull it over the plastic mounting of the motor for the hub.
I have loosened the bolts completely and can push the wheel towards the chainset which gives enough slack to get the chain onto the edge of the plastic mount bu no further. The main issue seems to be that the disc brake stops the axle moving far enough to allow the chain the de-tention.
I'm glad I've been practicing now before the inevitable puncture on the way into work.
Any tips or experience with this would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Erm, is it a Day One Di2 OR a Day One Alfine 8? They are different bikes with different setups.
    http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/urban/urban-cross/day-one-di2
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    I have one of these and have changed the tyres for gator hardshells, I want to avoid getting a puncture whilst out if possible!

Have you tried taking the chain off the chainring at the front, that will give you lots of slack to play with, that's what I did.
    Loosened the rear just enough to get the chain off the front, then it was easy.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You don't have 'one of those' as the Alfine and Di2 are totally different models at the rear!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.