To Sell or Not to Sell

Richardsonj96
Richardsonj96 Posts: 4
edited August 2015 in Cyclocross
I've got a dilemma on my hands. I currently have 3 bikes (road, mountain, and cross). I will be starting college in September and there is little to no collegiate cross season in Colorado for me. I will be coming back home for the winter and would be able to race cyclocross back home if I wanted but I've only raced it a few times and it is not my strong suit. The other problem is, I don't know if I want to pay for the cross season in race fees AND road season in the summer since my team won't pay them (I only want to pay for one and road is my best) Money is also tight since I'm at a private school and could use the $1700 to use for replacement parts or upgrades if wanted or needed. I have a mountain bike that I could bring home (though it is expensive) if I wanted and race cross on that. I'm also concerned about racing 3 disciplines in the same year (Mountain in the fall, cross in the winter, and road in the spring). I don't have many places to ride cross back home and I could just as easily train on my road bike for the winter since I will be bringing my road bike home. Thoughts?

Comments

• I've got a dilemma on my hands. I currently have 3 bikes (road, mountain, and cross). I will be starting college in September and there is little to no collegiate cross season in Colorado for me. I will be coming back home for the winter and would be able to race cyclocross back home if I wanted but I've only raced it a few times and it is not my strong suit. The other problem is, I don't know if I want to pay for the cross season in race fees AND road season in the summer since my team won't pay them (I only want to pay for one and road is my best) Money is also tight since I'm at a private school and could use the $1700 to use for replacement parts or upgrades if wanted or needed. I have a mountain bike that I could bring home (though it is expensive) if I wanted and race cross on that. I'm also concerned about racing 3 disciplines in the same year (Mountain in the fall, cross in the winter, and road in the spring). I don't have many places to ride cross back home and I could just as easily train on my road bike for the winter since I will be bringing my road bike home. Thoughts?
    You're posting this in a Cross section of the forum, I suspect most of the replies will be to lose the MTB and keep the CX bike. Can I ask why CX isn't your strong suit but road is? That suggests a bike handling issue rather than a fitness one, which in turn suggests it's a discipline you might want to focus on in the off season as you should train your weaknesses more than your strengths. For cross over (excuse the pun) success look no further than Zdeněk Štybar
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    Sell the cross bike. It's easy to spread yourself too thin and not do anything well. If you can use the money better elsewhere, why struggle humping about and maintaining (and storing - as a student space's at a premium) three bikes.

You've kind of arrived at this conclusion already so just go ahead. Cross is great, but so is XC and road so choose the two you enjoy the most and cut down the third. It's good to combine disciplines as long as they don't start tripping each other up, but in your case, it does sound like you can't fit it all in. And yes, you can do the odd cross race on a mountain bike. On some courses the MTB will even be faster.