Gearing

Benrucksack
Benrucksack Posts: 3
edited August 2015 in Workshop
Hi,

I'm looking for some information about changing my gearing on a 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 105 5. Currently the bike has 12-27. I'm looking to change it to a 12-30 as I live in a hilly area and would benefit from a bigger gear. I haven't been able to find a Shimano 105 cassette that has this gearing but have seen Shimano Ultegra that do. Question is will the Ultegra cassette fit without having to change anything else.

Any help will be greatly received.

Ben

Comments

• Hi,

I'm looking for some information about changing my gearing on a 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 105 5. Currently the bike has 12-27. I'm looking to change it to a 12-30 as I live in a hilly area and would benefit from a bigger gear. I haven't been able to find a Shimano 105 cassette that has this gearing but have seen Shimano Ultegra that do. Question is will the Ultegra cassette fit without having to change anything else.

Careful, because not all 105 is the same!

But the answer is usually yes, as long as it's the same speed. e.g. With my bike being 10 speed it can and has had a Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra cassettes on it, they are all interchangeable. I assume you're running 10 speed as I haven't seen 12-30 in 11 speed. So the Ultegra 10 speed cassette will work, if you want to save a bit there is a Tiagra 12-30 10 speed which will work just as well.

The only thing to watch out for is that your chain is long enough as you're moving to a bigger cog. And that Tiagra doesn't need a spacer whereas 105 and Ultegra do.
  • Hi Mark,

Thank you for your fast and informative response. Yes you're right it is a 10 speed. I'll see how I go on with the Tiagra cassette. Thanks again
  • Hi,

Careful, because not all 105 is the same!

But the answer is usually yes, as long as it's the same speed. e.g. With my bike being 10 speed it can and has had a Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra cassettes on it, they are all interchangeable. I assume you're running 10 speed as I haven't seen 12-30 in 11 speed. So the Ultegra 10 speed cassette will work, if you want to save a bit there is a Tiagra 12-30 10 speed which will work just as well.

The only thing to watch out for is that your chain is long enough as you're moving to a bigger cog. And that Tiagra doesn't need a spacer whereas 105 and Ultegra do.

Not related but I wondered why I couldn't fit a spacer with a Tiagra 10 speed cassette on my wheelset? Many Thanks!!
  • Yep it's a real gotcha that one. It's even caught me out even though I knew about it!