Racy, lightweight Alu CAAD10 Racing vs Emonda ALR 6

mattrixdesign2
mattrixdesign2 Posts: 644
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
My old Spesh Allez is getting a bit creaky, 10000miles+ several upgrades, I love it, but time for something fresh. 100% happy with Alloy, its tough, stiff and light.

So I have thought of a few brands, would consider another Allez, but the price point is too high. I want Ultegra level as a minimum (the 10sp Ultegra on my Allez was noticeably better than the 105).

So the main two are

Cannondale CAAD10 Racing Edition 2015
Trek Emonda ALR 6 Racing Road Bike 2016

...Always wanted a CAAD, never really knew much about Treks.

The CAAD has a reputable frame, is discounted (CAAD12 is replacing the 10). Not many with Ultegra spec, but the Racing Ed. comes with SRAM Force - I understand this to be Ultegra level and a bit lighter. It concerns me slightly, as never had or used road SRAM. Also not overly keen with the chainset / BB. I like Shimano's setup.

The TREK has FULL Ultegra, light frame, similar price too despite being 2016.

Thoughts? I have tried a similar Trek for size, I can not try a CAAD10 locally - do they size similar to Spesh Allez (I am a 54cm).

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Specialized Allez 54cm
    HTT 548mm
    HT 145mm
    Stem 100mm
    Reach 387mm
    Stack 547mm

Cannondale CAAD10 R 54cm
    HTT 545mm
    HT 140mm
    Stem ???mm
    Reach 383mm
    Stack 546mm
  • thanks, close enough
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    With the Caad12 .. Caad10 framesets may get heavily discounted over the winter.
    Build it up with a groupset and wheelset of your own choice.
    Very few people regret getting into Caads , end of.
    Mine's been raced 2 seasons now.. it will be raced again next year... absolutely no point in replacing it... in race trim it is a 15lb build.
  • There is always the Caad 12 to consider, but if you want the bike to last then a Caad 10 will probably last the longest out of all 3.
    Unfortunately to get down to the super light weights manufacturers come closer to the ultimate limits of the alloy, and they will likely 'wear out' and crack after lots of use, much the same as aircraft do over time.

Heavier alloy frames have much higher limits and are very durable- the old Trek 2300s are still going strong over 10 years later. I have heard of Caad 10s failing in the past (normally after being put in a turbo) but as long as you don't smash over every pothole you can find then it'll probably give you many years of good use- enough people have had them for long enough.
    The new frames are a bit of an unknown quantity though, but if Trek are offering their new frame with a lifetime warranty (they do on their carbon models) then I would look towards them. Cannondale can be notoriously tricky with their 'warranties'.

Carbon is good for lightweight long lasting frames (as long as you don't crash it- they are far more durable than lightweight alloy in a crash but unlike metal it's difficult to tell when its bust) as it has a theoretical unlimited fatigue life like steel and titanium.

Good luck!
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Unfortunately to get down to the super light weights manufacturers come closer to the ultimate limits of the alloy, and they will likely 'wear out' and crack after lots of use, much the same as aircraft do over time.

Some 40 year old commercial aircraft are still flying and they spend most of their life working .Bikes spend most of their life resting.
  • Hi - got a bargain IMO. Caad 10 Ultegra 3 - for £1200. Keeps it Alu, Shimano and Ultegra which I am very happy with, plus some Mavic Aksiums which I can sell on straight away.
  • DBPDX
    DBPDX Posts: 5
    I suggest just surfing craigslist and grabbing the best deal. Im trying to sell my Fuji Altamira and going back to alloy, so thats what im doing.
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    Way to resurrect the thread pal.