Ultegra di2 rear derailleur

temitchell1987
temitchell1987 Posts: 73
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
I've tried the forum search function and couldn't find anything definitive.

My Orbea frame has gone for a warranty replacement (hopefully!) the replacement frame will be internally cable routed and di2 compatible, as all the current Orbea frames are. Therefore I am toying with the idea of di2. I cant seem to find anywhere that has in stock a medium cage rear mech, do these exist or not? I run a 53/38 front chainring set on a power2max powermeter and need to run at least a 30t sprocket on the back as I'm a 90kg unit rather than a 65kg climber.

Any ideas on whether a short cage will cope with a 30/32t sprocket or whether they actually make a medium cage mech.....?

Comments

• they make an ss (short cage) or a gs (long cage) the long cage will go up to 32 tooth but the short cage wont.
    However i have a long cage, i ordered it by accident and was too impatient to send it back and get another.

So im trying to sell mine and get a short cage. So let me know if theres anything we can do?? :D
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    My short cage works with a 32t fine.
    It has a slight rattle in big-big but no drama in the small ring.
    I had to wind the B screw out quite a way

MAtt
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    they make an ss (short cage) or a gs (long cage) the long cage will go up to 32 tooth but the short cage wont.
    However i have a long cage, i ordered it by accident and was too impatient to send it back and get another.

So im trying to sell mine and get a short cage. So let me know if theres anything we can do?? :D

Seems like a ready made swap solution - OP buys groupset with short cage and swaps over with ashley?

Shimano are quite specific on the limits of short cage deraileurs - 28t cassette is the max - and whilst you may be able to get it to work with adjustment screws etc at their max adjustment, that will leave you no tolerance if any further adjustment is needed. I'd suggest the OP doesn't go there!

Peter