New Bike Advice (Specialized, Dawes or other)

trigger13
trigger13 Posts: 11
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Sorry for the slightly generic thread. Looking to get a new bike as my Halfrauds special isn't really cutting it any more, keeps having serious issues after about 10/11 months and I'm fed up with it (in all fairness talking to the guy it's down to how much I'm using it) so looking for something more reliable.

Was looking at a hard tail hybrid as I do some bits on a trail as well that can get pretty bumpy in patches. So far the Specialized Crosstrail Disc and Dawes Discovery 5 have caught my eye.

Didn't really want to spend more than £450 but could stretch to 500 if it would be worth it. More interested in reliability than speed and such as I tend to just plod along, doing about 5000 miles a year and hoping this will keep increasing. Don't suppose anyone could point me in the right direction? Local bike shops haven't really helped with the decision.

Comments

• There's some good bumpy bits on the trail, pot holes, mostly gravel and dirt and such as well which is why I was thinking front suspension but not full? Or will I not really see a difference? It's the transpennine trail if that helps anyone know it probably won't.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    There's some good bumpy bits on the trail, pot holes, mostly gravel and dirt and such as well which is why I was thinking front suspension but not full? Or will I not really see a difference? It's the transpennine trail if that helps anyone know it probably won't.

Suspension forks in that price range won't be very good for off road and superfluous for road riding. You would be better looking for a rigid fork bike that can take up to 37/38/40mm wide tyres which you could run at lower pressures for your treks on the TPT.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/lithium-three-2015-hybrid-bike-ec071281

What is the Halfrauds special that you have and what are the problems you are having?
  • Oh I see! :)

Its a careera crossfire 1. Bought one 2 years ago and after 10 months the components basically started falling apart so they replaced it, now the replacement has started to do the same. Was OK when I was only doing 20mile treks.
  • keefyp
    keefyp Posts: 5
    I bought a Crosstrail last year. It's been one of the best bikes I've had. I use it on road, on canal path (very bumpy in places), in the local forest on track so for 15-20 mile leisure rides. Great multi use bike, very comfortable, no quality/mechanical issues. It replaced a Boardman Hybrid without suspension which was a real bone shaker on some of my regular routes. I ride a Giant Defy on roads.