Commuting Advice Epsom to Farringdon (i.e short cuts!)

Olas
Olas Posts: 54
edited August 2015 in Commuting chat
A long time commuter from Tooting and later Streatham to Farringdon recently moved to Epsom. So I'm comfortable with the route from South London.
Also decided the A24 route is the best for me, I wondered if there were any good known shortcuts on the route to avoid the Ewell bypass, maybe through Nonsuch Park? and others on the journey form experienced commuters?
Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• A long time commuter from Tooting and later Streatham to Farringdon recently moved to Epsom. So I'm comfortable with the route from South London.
    Also decided the A24 route is the best for me, I wondered if there were any good known shortcuts on the route to avoid the Ewell bypass, maybe through Nonsuch Park? and others on the journey form experienced commuters?
    Any advice appreciated.

A24 is as straight as an arrow but a very dull road to cycle. Merantum way will save you some of the Colliers wood shite. I Avoid Ewell bypass as I can cut through Ewell and longmead estate to get to my side of epsom.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Not too sure how useful these routes would be but some I have discovered on my travels to and from Streatham...

If you come through Morden then best to avoid South Wimbledon/Colliers Wood like the plague. Way too congested with narrow lanes and crappy kerbing. Merantun Way is not too bad. Jubilee Way/ Windsor Ave/ Liberty Ave is quieter and goes much the same way.

If you are so inclined there are also bike paths through Moden Hall Park which take you out either at Phippe's Bridge or Deen City Farm although maybe that is a bit out of the way. The path is gravelly at best so not really best bike suitable.

It also possible to cut through Prince Georges Road (next to the crappy Colliers Wood shopping centre) which would let you head towards Tooting Bec Common thus bypassing all the Tooting Broadway clusterf*ck. Going through Furzedown or A216 (Streatham Road) would let you get to the Common and back towards Blaham...