Turbo trainer - which one?

forestnot1
forestnot1 Posts: 244
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking to get a new turbo trainer before winter begins!

Spoilt for choice as to which to go for. Looking at direct drive models eg elite muin etc as quite like the idea of not wearing out tyres and tyre slippage etc however are they worth the extra money?

Opinions most welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• ilav84
    ilav84 Posts: 124
    This interests me! The Elite Muin is my current choice. I don't want to spend more than £500.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I have a LeMond, noisy good "road feel". spent far too many hours of my life on it.
    if I was in the market for another Turbo trainer I would be looking at the Wahoo kickr or perhaps the Tacx Neo smart, but 1st I would check out what DC Rainmaker thinks.
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    Now that Tacx have opened up their trainers it may be worth looking at their smart trainers. I've just plumped for the Bushido, Evans were cheapest at £434.

Planning on a trainer road subscription and a bucket load of Sufferfest videos to while away those winter evenings.
  • I just got a Tacx satori smart and I'm very happy with it. This is my first trainer so I have no point of comparison, but I really like the ability to have power, speed, and cadence reading in my garmin or tablet.
    The best part is that the trainer is ant+ and bt capable and can be used with a lot of apps like zwift.
    It could be less noise, but everything else is good.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    A Kurt Kinetic Road Machine II.

Can be had for around £200

Small enough to take to events for warm ups but very stable and well made

Good resistance from the fluid

Can be hooked up to Trainer road and a power reading through a speed cadence sensor and a ANT+ dongle.

Why spend anymore?
  • Just bought a Tacx Vortex Smart from Bike24 for just over £200, cracking price I reckon!
    Keep on Smilin - Makes people wonder what you have been upto!
  • ilav84
    Are there any resistance type direct drive trainers? I want to practise sitting on an alpine climb with a low cadence for long periods of time. I am worried that the likes of the Elite Muin won't let me get down to that type of cadence.
  • forestnot1
    forestnot1 Posts: 244
    Not sure that I really need a 'smart' trainer as I use garmin vectors and hrm? Are direct drive turbos therefore worth the extra cash?
  • I have a LeMond, noisy good "road feel". spent far too many hours of my life on it.

second this - the Lemond Rev is lovely to use. I think I ended up overdoing it last winter. Noisy, yes, but very very effective. And you can set up a computer with a magnet sensor to get some consistent feedback.
  • ilav84
    I need a quiet trainer so unfortunately the le mond is not an option.
  • I need a quiet trainer so unfortunately the le mond is not an option.

yes, not an option then! Re direct drive over standard - immeasurably better, in my experience. I used a Tacx Flow for years and thought it was the business, then tried a friend's Lemond Rev and realised there's a whole new world of turbo trainer madness out there. The "road feel" as people call it is absolutely stunning; and that's down to two factors - the absence of any slipping between tyre and roller, and the weight of the flywheel connected to the fan.

I imagine the cycleops equivalent is much quieter; though what gives the Lemond the "feel" is the fact you're working with wind, as on the road; hence the unavoidable noise...

Good luck!
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    If you're looking for a reasonably quiet trainer the Cycleops Fluid trainer is one of the quietest around. Money no object then the Wahoo Kickr