Anyone use Keep on Kovers for their speedplays?

prhymeate
prhymeate Posts: 795
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
I recently moved from SPD's to Speedplays and to be honest I'm starting to feel like it might be an expensive experiment that isn't going to be worth it. If I don't break my neck trying to walk in these I will be amazed! I know there are the official coffee shop caps but I was just reading about Keep on Kovers that you don't need to remove. Does anyone use these? Would you recommend them? I realise you aren't supposed to walk about in cleats, but I imagine even popping into a shop or stopping at lights in the rain would be a bit sketchy in these.

Comments

• DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I just apply Shoe Goo to the metal parts of the cleats. Does the same job, costs less and it doesn't come off. When it wears through, just apply some more. A tube will last you a fair few years.
  • prhymeate
    I just apply Shoe Goo to the metal parts of the cleats. Does the same job, costs less and it doesn't come off. When it wears through, just apply some more. A tube will last you a fair few years.

Never heard of that but it looks like a pretty interesting product. Cheers for the recommendation
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,790
    I've got the Keep on Kovers and find them to be excellent.

I would say that walking in the cleats with the covers on is no worse than walking in my old Shimano road cleats and in fact is probably a bit better on a slippy surface such as a kitchen floor.

My only concern is the possibility of losing one at some point. They can't come off when clipped in to the pedals but one did pop off on one occasion when I was pushing off to set off. I did notice straight away and stopped to reattach it. In fairness, it has never happened again since. I have heard of some people using some sort of adhesive to help keep them on.

Overall, a very good product which for me addresses a couple of the downsides of the Speedplay pedals by making the cleats much easier to walk in and protecting the cleat itself from damage or dirt.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Been meaning to get a pair but firstly I don't find walking in the cleats too bad so long as I don't walk further than eye shot of the bike, secondly I keep thinking a bit of old inner tube glued to the bottom might work almost as well for little cost.

But I had no idea they could pop off.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Speedplay now do theri own version in the shape of the aero/walkable cleats. I have them and have found them as good as Keep on covers...which is to say I'm a bit "meh" about them
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Keep on covers are fine if you are using the included (with the pedals) 3 bolt to Speedplay converter plates.

If however you are using a Speedplay specific shoe or Northwave shoes with their own converter then you will loose one or both of the covers within 50yds. They simply will not stay in place as intended. With these shoes the aero/walkable cleats are a better option but nothing (not SPD-SL/Look/Time/Speedplay etc) will get close to walking in SPD's on recessed soles.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    I have lost two left keep on covers in about 3000 km of riding, both when my left foot was down while stopped at lights. I love my speedplays, but this is a real weakness. Am not convinced that the speedplay version would be much better (as I understand the covers are not permanently fixed). Can anyone post a picture of the shoe goo approach?
  • 86inch
    86inch Posts: 161
    To be honest, i've not tried the keep-on-kovers, but i do use the coffee-stop covers, and apart from putting them on/off which isn't a huge issue for me i really like them.
    The weakness of Speedplay vs every other pedal is the issue of getting mud/grit/stones inside the cleat and the only cover that really prevents this is the coffee-shop type.

All of my riding is done in rural areas so when you need the inevitable pit stop and nip behind a hedge i like the security of knowing i wont spend 10mins picking mud out of the cleat before i can get going again :D
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    Have used the Keep on Kovers for the last two years, probably covered c12,000 miles and not had one come off yet.
  • DKay
    I have lost two left keep on covers in about 3000 km of riding, both when my left foot was down while stopped at lights. I love my speedplays, but this is a real weakness. Am not convinced that the speedplay version would be much better (as I understand the covers are not permanently fixed). Can anyone post a picture of the shoe goo approach?

Here is where I apply the Shoe Goo. It initially dries transparent, but quickly dirties-up from walking on as you can see in the pic. Apply at least two layers, allowing the first one a few hours to cure. I use a small piece of card to shape the Shoe Goo where I want it, when it's still gooey.

It provides grip, protects the screw heads and also has the added bonus of stopping the screw heads from working loose. To remove it, you'll need some pliers to grip hold and pull it off.

IMAG3702_zpsm94xrpuf.jpg
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Might try that Shoe Goo, when you pull it off does it peel cleanly out of the screw heads to?
  • DKay
    Yes. You need to give it a good tug though (that's what she said). Usually you can get it off in one piece, but any bits left in can be pulled-off separately. Some narrow nose pliers are useful to have.
  • prhymeate
    I've ordered some shoe goo from ebay so will see how that goes. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Does anyone know of a cheaper place to buy the keep on kovers (version 3) than comtat, where they are £19.99 delivered? http://www.comtat.co.uk/products/642.htm
  • DKay
    I've ordered some shoe goo from ebay so will see how that goes. Thanks again for the suggestion.

You're welcome. I originally used it to protect the toe-box area of my tennis shoes, as I'm a chronic toe-dragger on serve.
  • dov2711
    dov2711 Posts: 131
    Give eBay a search, if you are willing to wait a couple of weeks there is a Taiwanese seller offering the covers for about £6/£7 pound.

I have been using them for 3 months with no issues such as working loose.