Michelin Pro4 SC or Schwalbe One

welsh_14
welsh_14 Posts: 259
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for a new set of tires for my Ribble Gran Fondo. I'm currently running Michelin Pro4 SC which seem to roll well (currently 23mm.) The Schwalbe One tyres seem to get good reviews, are the worth swapping to?

I want something that rolls fast with little rolling resistance, but offers decent puncture resistance (the usual really!)

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Very happy with Pro4 SC in 25c, many thousands of miles and several races without incident.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Ones have loads of grip but if the roads are bad where you live they cut up pretty bad.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I'm currently running Schwalbe Ones in 23mm size with Michelin latex tubes. They feel to be fast rolling and supple and are exceptionally easy to fit and remove on my Archetype rims - the easiest tyre/rim combination I've ever had. They also appear to be pretty resistant to cuts and intrusions. In more than 1,800 miles I've had just one pinch puncture caused by a cattle grid. Never tried Michelin Pro4 SC but I previously used the Pro3 SC and liked them. However, the Ones are definitely tougher. But they are a race tyre so I wouldn't recommend them for commuting.
  • welsh_14
    Thanks for the info guys, I live in Northumberland the roads in the countryside are pretty poor to say the least! My Pro4's haven't lasted long at all this time round although the ones before lasted well... which was my query about whether I should stick with them or change.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Thanks for the info guys, I live in Northumberland the roads in the countryside are pretty poor to say the least! My Pro4's haven't lasted long at all this time round although the ones before lasted well... which was my query about whether I should stick with them or change.
    GP4000S2 are the perfect tyre for conditions around where we live. About as racey as you can go without them getting shredded by the crap roads.
  • welsh_14
    Trek Dan, thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a look at them!
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    hopefully not a thread highjack...

I am a One tubeless user, hens teeth in the UK and my new set just appeared from The States. Unfortunately I ordered the wrong size - in 23mm. About to put them up for sale, but let me know if you are interested.
    Insert bike here:
  • I had a set of Pro4 SC in 23. I got a paltry 1700-1800 miles out of them. When they first went on I thought they were great, but as they got to around the 1000 mile mark the rear was considerably squared off, and the shoulders of the tyre (both front and rear) were showing lots of cracks and splits.
    When the rear was taken off at the end I couldn't believe how poor they were - there was a lot of canvas to be seen on closer examination. In comparison I ran some GP4000S (the older ones) and got over 3500 miles out of them.
    I don't think I'd buy another set of Michelins again. I ended up buying GP4000SII this time around. No issues thus far.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I use Pro 4s and I currently have 2600 miles from a pair without an issue, I used Vittoria open corsa previously and they were as good if not better but lacked the durability.
  • limoneboy
    limoneboy Posts: 480
    Too be honest unless you are a reviewer or pro your not going to notice the difference between the 2 rolling wise , but I would go to Michelin as for me they seem to be a bit stronger when well worn , had 2 sets of schwalbe tyres egg out when getting thin. I think its something to do with the thread count, but that's an option .
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • iPete
    When you can get a pair of Pro4 SC in 25c for about £38 delivered or £33 collected from Decathlon it's almost a no brainer. Nearly half the price of Conti GP4000sII(?) and my front tyre is on 4,200 miles, so I can't see them doing half the distance either.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/pro-4-service-course-road-bike-tyre-set-700x25-id_8328783.html
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    When you can get a pair of Pro4 SC in 25c for about £38 delivered or £33 collected from Decathlon it's almost a no brainer. Nearly half the price of Conti GP4000sII(?) and my front tyre is on 4,200 miles, so I can't see them doing half the distance either.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/pro-4-service-course-road-bike-tyre-set-700x25-id_8328783.html

^^^Out of stock ATM ^^^

Ribble have 25mm Pro4 Endurance at £49 for a pair

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/michelin-pro4-endurance-v2-twinpack/michtyrf182

These might be worth considering as an alternative. Reviews suggest that they roll just as well as the SC option.

http://road.cc/content/review/76068-michelin-pro4-endurance-tyre

They're available in 28mm as well if your frame can cope
  • iPete
    Woops! I seem to recall them coming quickly into stock previously.

I should really bag a spare set.
  • welsh_14
    Thanks for the link and suggestions. Based on what people have said I think I'll stick with the Pro4's especially at the prices they can be had at!
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Worth trying the endurance version to see what you think of them - I have been using a set on my commuter bike in central London without any problems for several months. Probably a bit heavier than the SC but there's no visible difference other than the name tag and they seem to roll fine.

Peter
  • Worth trying the endurance version to see what you think of them - I have been using a set on my commuter bike in central London without any problems for several months. Probably a bit heavier than the SC but there's no visible difference other than the name tag and they seem to roll fine.

Peter

+1 to this. Best tyre I've used in ages. My last 2 pairs of 4 seasons (and schwalbe ones especially) cut up bad on my commute, these are pretty great. I have the 28mm version for what it's worth