Safe parking on/near Strand

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited August 2015 in Commuting chat
Hi guys,

I'm delighted to say that, after a year and a half away, I have a looming contract that means I can regularly commute by bike again. I'm less delighted to say that my place-of-work-to-be are noted cocks when it comes to offering safe cycle parking. With that in mind, I was wondering if anyone knew of any good options around The Strand. I'd be happy to pay, if necessary, but it's also important that I have access late at night. Ta!

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Hi guys,

I'm delighted to say that, after a year and a half away, I have a looming contract that means I can regularly commute by bike again. I'm less delighted to say that my place-of-work-to-be are noted cocks when it comes to offering safe cycle parking. With that in mind, I was wondering if anyone knew of any good options around The Strand. I'd be happy to pay, if necessary, but it's also important that I have access late at night. Ta!

Ask at LSE or Kings? There have got to be places for all those students to park bikes and maybe you can bluff your way in
  • Hi guys,

Ask at LSE or Kings? There have got to be places for all those students to park bikes and maybe you can bluff your way in

It's an idea, thanks! I'm sure I could find somewhere to lock up a beater, but I'd love to be able to ride in a half decent bike.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    I used to work in Shellmex House a good while ago now, and recall that down the side of the building, towards the embankment side of things there was a fair bit of cycle parking.
    It's pretty much next to the Coal Hole pub if that helps, just go down one of the roads to the right and have a looksee - of course that was 9 years ago, so it may have changed hugely by now, OR there might be better provisions, who knows?!

Have you double checked your building does not have any basement parking?

Shellmex house had a certain number of car bays and bike\cycle bays when I worked there.

Either way, I'm jealous, as that was and always will be my favourite part of London to work in - right near the Thames, and Covent Garden, Oxford street etc etc, beautiful location.
    Enjoy!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Thanks Daniel. I know exactly where you mean. I'll be working in The Savoy theatre. I quizzed the guys who are working there right now and they told me the management have been incredibly unhelpful. Right now it's Bromptons or beaters chained to the pub railings. As I have next to no time for cycling these days, the idea of commuting again is really exciting and I'd like to do it on a bike that makes me grin.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Thanks Daniel. I know exactly where you mean. I'll be working in The Savoy theatre. I quizzed the guys who are working there right now and they told me the management have been incredibly unhelpful. Right now it's Bromptons or beaters chained to the pub railings. As I have next to no time for cycling these days, the idea of commuting again is really exciting and I'd like to do it on a bike that makes me grin.

H2 in Soho? Apparently it is pricey but I think you get secure storage for bike, clothes locker and shower. It can only be about a mile or so from the Savoy Theatre

edit: you will be nice and close to my favourite fast food place - hermen ze german on Villiers Street
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Surely to goodness there must be somewhere in a theatre down in the bowels you can put a bike or three out of the way. Lousy management indeed.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Surely to goodness there must be somewhere in a theatre down in the bowels you can put a bike or three out of the way. Lousy management indeed.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? These people can get very health-and-safety about "cluttering up passageways" and "causing obstructions if there was a fire." Like I say, Bromptons tend to be allowed, but rarely full sized bikes.
  • Thanks Daniel. I know exactly where you mean. I'll be working in The Savoy theatre. I quizzed the guys who are working there right now and they told me the management have been incredibly unhelpful. Right now it's Bromptons or beaters chained to the pub railings. As I have next to no time for cycling these days, the idea of commuting again is really exciting and I'd like to do it on a bike that makes me grin.

H2 in Soho? Apparently it is pricey but I think you get secure storage for bike, clothes locker and shower. It can only be about a mile or so from the Savoy Theatre

edit: you will be nice and close to my favourite fast food place - hermen ze german on Villiers Street

Hmm, interesting idea. Thanks for that. I'm sure I could sell it to my wife based on the fact that I'll have to buy a new bike if I can't find decent parking. I'll swing by and take a look.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Shellmex house had a certain number of car bays and bike\cycle bays when I worked there.

Either way, I'm jealous, as that was and always will be my favourite part of London to work in - right near the Thames, and Covent Garden, Oxford street etc etc, beautiful location.
    Enjoy!

Shellmex has loads of cycle spaces, the issue there was hanging your kit; the walls of the chaning rooms looked like a sale rail at at a charity cycle store. They stopped people hanging their kit from the air-con units so hangers were back to back on the rails. Kit sometimes got wetter hanging up.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Very close to me. There are bike racks down Northumberland Place, just by Next.

Not tried Herman Ze German yet. I may have been to Five Guys...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."