Upgrade or buy a new bike

cskasofia
cskasofia Posts: 34
edited August 2015 in Workshop
Bought a Merida road bike in 2011, list price £750.
So far I've renewed all the usual components due to wear and tear, brake pads, tyres, chainset and cassette.
Not sure how long I've got left with the original wheels.
Were I to replace these with a pair of Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLS , costing £330, would this bike be "better" than a brand new £1k road bike?

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    Can you post a link to the model of bike you have?
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Bought a Merida road bike in 2011, list price £750.
    So far I've renewed all the usual components due to wear and tear, brake pads, tyres, chainset and cassette.
    Not sure how long I've got left with the original wheels.
    Were I to replace these with a pair of Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLS , costing £330, would this bike be "better" than a brand new £1k road bike?

Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLS are too good to put on a bike of £750 list price. I would double check that price for a pair of SLS, as the site I found with £330 was the price for the front wheel only. Usual price for pair seems to be around £660.

A chainset is not usually a component you replace after four years. Replacement chainrings should be available.

I'd go for the new £1000 bike. That way you'll be able to have one for poor weather rides, and you'll have a better starting point for future upgrades. Either that or sell the first machine and equip new machine to cope with all conditions.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • A good bike has a good frame, good parts and good wheels. Make your decisions accordingly. Personally I'd be inclined to buy a good frame and build it up; wheels may be transferable, but you won't make more of your bike than what it fundamentally is.