Wheels and tyres combo?

jamieblackford
jamieblackford Posts: 59
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
After purchasing my first road bike (Specialized Allez sport) in May this year I think I'm ready to start upgrading bits mainly to try and improve my speed. I presume the best way is to make the bike lighter? My first upgrades I'm considering are the tyres and wheels as I think this is where I shall make the greatest improvement. I'm looking at the Schwalbe one tyres to replace the standard Espoir tyres, and Campagnolo Zonda's for the rims, to replace the stock Axis classics. Would this be a good combination? And does anybody else recommend the next parts I could upgrade?

Also long overdue I invested in a proper bike pump with pressure gauge as I was only topping up the tyres with a mini hand pump before each ride. Turns out I've been running at around 60 psi instead of the recommended 110-125 psi (face palm) so should see some improvement there.
"Great minds think a bike"

Comments

• sirmol
    sirmol Posts: 287
    I have a 2012 allez and upgraded to a set of custom built wheels and felt a huge difference - combined with grand prix 4 seasons I've never had a puncture (touch wood). I went for H P son rims and Dura Ace hubs which are light and stiff enough to increase my pace through more responsiveness and just feeling tighter - up hills especially. I also then upgraded to Tiagra groupset which came off my uncles bike and again this was a big difference from the original. However the bike was 3 years old which came with a horrid starter groupset - your groupset as standard is/was better than my original groupset. I would recommend the wheels though and defo the tyres.

Also PSI wise - i run 100-110 at the back and 90-100 front but i gather this can be a little more personal preference.
  • Was thinking ultegra or tiagra group set but that would be a while away yet as I'm pretty happy with what's on the bike and as you say it may not be that big a difference. I ran 120 psi this evening and rolled much better but obviously the ride was a lot more firm. How wrong I was before just pumping them with a mini pump and giving them the old squeeze and that feels about right trick lol
    "Great minds think a bike"
  • sirmol
    sirmol Posts: 287
    How wrong I was before just pumping them with a mini pump and giving them the old squeeze and that feels about right trick lol

It does make a huge difference