Darkness is coming - could we have sensible front light use?

martinwilly
martinwilly Posts: 63
edited August 2015 in Commuting chat
It was a slightly murky morning today in Richmond Park but broad daylight at 7.45.

A couple of cycle commuters already had their floodlight front lights blazing.

I love the Park and I am really looking forward to commuting through there this autumn and winter.

But as with so much in London, I'm expecting my enjoyment to be crapped on by some plonkers using massive front lights and shining them full-ahead.

It's utterly unnecessary in the Park. Please, please would you be sensible and either turn it off, dim it or turn it down? It's so inconsiderate to dazzle other riders. It also ruins your own experience of the Park. The Park is light enough! It is also beautiful at night. Why ride through it in a cone of your own light?

If you agree with me and find the lights tedious, would you join me in dropping the odd word to those who don't get it?
Would you promote cycling on your shorts as you commute? www.quickerbybike.com

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    It's a noble sentiment. But, I'd imagine said nodders don't post on here. You'd have to have an actual word. Good luck with that........
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    i think you'd better hope they dont release a new even smaller brighter unit or you might find yourself needing shades and suncream :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I cannot comment on the park itself because I do not know it, but I would be a bit wary of reducing my lights at night.
    It's asking for trouble, an accident waiting to happen.

I agree with pointing the lights away from peoples eyeline, that's common sense and should be done everywhere, but turning it off?

Please don't think I'm having a go, because I'm not, I have probably misunderstood the original post :mrgreen:
  • I cannot comment on the park itself because I do not know it, but I would be a bit wary of reducing my lights at night.

I agree with pointing the lights away from peoples eyeline, that's common sense and should be done everywhere, but turning it off?

Please don't think I'm having a go, because I'm not, I have probably misunderstood the original post :mrgreen:

A lot depends on the light, I have a knog road 3 which has a full/dip function it's also more of a flood than a spot so picks out the deer better.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    you south Londoners and your precious park.....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    My 808e and Vision 2 are on standby for the murkier times, and you've reminded me that I need to post 2 failed district 3s back to get them repaired. Also need to replace the ld1100 as it has finally broken a clip after years of steadfast service.

I must say that the R4 looks fun.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300

* Agent57 likes this
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)

RP is shut to cars from dusk to dawn so you only have to be able to see other cyclists, joggers, deer, dogs, skiers and ninjas doing press ups
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    The point about Richmond Park is that once you're inside it on a cloudy moonless night, there is no ambient light - it is DARK. So when an oncoming rider has these lights you're totally blinded and have to guess/remember where the road is for 50m before and after crossing paths. I often do have a word to them, but they're probably not helpful words and usually shouted.
    Add to that the people who ride in the same Park darkness without lights, especially those coming down Broomfield (you sense them and hear a whoosh), and you have a recipe for some accidents.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • you south Londoners and your precious park.....

You would think with some of the comments that Richmond Park was the only place anyone ever rode bikes. :roll:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440

You would think with some of the comments that Richmond Park was the only place anyone ever rode bikes. :roll:

We ride to and from the park as well.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • itboffin
    i'd like a fricking laser on mine

:twisted:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rower63 wrote:
    The point about Richmond Park is that once you're inside it on a cloudy moonless night, there is no ambient light - it is DARK. So when an oncoming rider has these lights you're totally blinded and have to guess/remember where the road is for 50m before and after crossing paths. I often do have a word to them, but they're probably not helpful words and usually shouted.
    Add to that the people who ride in the same Park darkness without lights, especially those coming down Broomfield (you sense them and hear a whoosh), and you have a recipe for some accidents.
    Suspect the issue is with bikers who use cheap Cree million watt lights off ebay that blind everybody including incoming aircraft as pointed full on in your face. Not just a London thing.

So it's not the lights it's the idiots on the bikes!! :D

Stupid people everywhere.......... :roll: :mrgreen:

There are no cars in the Park, so it isn't dangerous. Light from London makes it easy to see without any lights at all most nights. But yes, you need a little light to make sure other riders have seen you.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    What about the deer? Those things absorb light. :shock:

Anyway, I can't talk. I run an exposure flare rear and front all year round. Good for deterring fairies and waking up dozy cabbies. :twisted:
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • My 808e and Vision 2 are on standby for the murkier times, and you've reminded me that I need to post 2 failed district 3s back to get them repaired. Also need to replace the ld1100 as it has finally broken a clip after years of steadfast service.

I must say that the R4 looks fun.

Yes, I think that's got to be the primary reason commuters use massive lights when they don't need them. Because they've got them, they're fun and they want to use them.

Not really a good enough reason. London's a busy place and if people are not considerate then it can be a hateful place.
  • It's a noble sentiment. But, I'd imagine said nodders don't post on here. You'd have to have an actual word. Good luck with that........

Yup, I always say something to the worst offenders. "Fuck off" is the standard answer, just as it is when you suggest red-light-jumping is unhelpful to cycling.

Flybys will help this year.
  • The point about Richmond Park is that once you're inside it on a cloudy moonless night, there is no ambient light - it is DARK. So when an oncoming rider has these lights you're totally blinded and have to guess/remember where the road is for 50m before and after crossing paths. I often do have a word to them, but they're probably not helpful words and usually shouted.

Yup, that's it. But cloudless nights are rare. Really any time I have to ride towards a big front light I have to guess where the road is. I might start just riding at the lights.

I commute against the flow, so it's worse for me than for most.
  • i'd like a ******* laser on mine

:twisted:

What for?

What on earth are those rules in your signature?
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    There are no cars in the Park, so it isn't dangerous. Light from London makes it easy to see without any lights at all most nights...
    Disagree. Only a little way into the park on a cloudy moonless night it's pitch black. And being dazzled and not knowing where the edge of the road is is made more dangerous by the wooden post-ends lining the edge of the road for most of the Park. Touch the verge having been dazzled, and you may easily pitch down into one or two of those - doesn't bear thinking about. Those posts are several feet long, but only the last few inches protrudes above ground. And I have grace-of-god missed deer on the road on a few occasions. In addition plenty of people seem to ride without lights, and they're totally invisible.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • rower63 wrote:
    Suspect the issue is with bikers who use cheap Cree million watt lights off ebay that blind everybody including incoming aircraft as pointed full on in your face. Not just a London thing.

I, and Victor Meldrew, agree. Big front lights have their place. That place is fast, rooty singletrack descents, not benign suburban parks.

I get it that a big front light adds to the sense of adventure and they are great toys. They really are great toys! But they are not appropriate in Richmond Park.
  • itboffin
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    I understand wanting a bright light to pick out obstacles but what I really don't get is why anyone would set it on flash/strobe. Unless of course they are on mind altering drugs then it would probably be quite a trippy senation...
  • rower63 wrote:

I, and Victor Meldrew, agree. Big front lights have their place. That place is fast, rooty singletrack descents, not benign suburban parks.

I get it that a big front light adds to the sense of adventure and they are great toys. They really are great toys! But they are not appropriate in Richmond Park.

I agree that seeing the road/path even with blinkies isn't difficult, But Both Richmond and Bushy have Deer which are remarkably good at not being seen, and being big/fast and at times aggressive having advance warning of them is useful.

RP has ninja bikes/runners/rollerbladers/dog walkers etc again it's useful to have advance warning so you don't just come upon them.

yes folks aim them up can be blinding but peoples reasons for wanting decent lights in Bushy/Richmond are sound.
  • I understand wanting a bright light to pick out obstacles but what I really don't get is why anyone would set it on flash/strobe. Unless of course they are on mind altering drugs then it would probably be quite a trippy senation...

I assume that's because they have been in the surrounding streets where flash is more catching, how people see anything with the light set like that in the parks, there is a guy I meet now and then who does this, I have been known not to dip at this point...
  • talius
    talius Posts: 282
    I shout "dip your f-ing light, you f-ing tw@t" at them. If enough of us committed to doing that it might help.
    Merckx EMX 5
    Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    I shout "dip your f-ing light, you f-ing tw@t" at them. If enough of us committed to doing that it might help.
    You would be better off screaming "I CAN'T SEE" and playing chicken.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I shout "dip your f-ing light, you f-ing tw@t" at them. If enough of us committed to doing that it might help.

That's what I was hoping for. A movement to engender decent behaviour amongst other riders. If more sensible people made their objections known, maybe an established norm of considerate behaviour would take shape.
  • I shout "dip your f-ing light, you f-ing tw@t" at them. If enough of us committed to doing that it might help.

Oddly enough, that is precisely what I often do shout. As yet I've been too chicken to play chicken.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

Oddly enough, that is precisely what I often do shout. As yet I've been too chicken to play chicken.
    You lose.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.