Backpacks for extended use.

2»

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    And water, do you plan to be passing through places you can buy some or will you be using streams? The latter is obviously gonna need filtering/purifying...

If you're planning on taking water from streams (which is much more fun that buying it!) then do some reading up on water filters to make sure you get a good one. There are so many things in stream water that can do you harm, and some quite serious, that you need to make sure you get a serious filter.
    Whats gonna be the food situation, bring it and cook it?

I always take food because I head for the middle of nowhere. The last time I went out I took some cook in the bag chocolate pudding as a treat. Delicious! On the second day out I broke out the pud. I ate half and kept the other hand for a treat at my next stop. Unfortunately, at the next stop I used my rucksack to sit on, forgetting there was half a chocolate pudding in the bag. It made an odd farting noise and squirted all over the inside of my rucksack. I looked as if someone had taken a dump in my sack. Still very tasty, though!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I'm really missing the point of selecting a light rucksack haha. But if I could keep the whole lot to 10-15kg

Paniers would be far better, I regularly carry 20-30kg on my back plus more at times and despite a lot of training 10-15 would still be uncomfortable after a few hours. Add to that the fact you are on a bike and you centre of gravity will be high and make it handle far worse.

Putting the weight on your bike would make you much more comfortable and probably better to ride too.
  • IMO I don't believe having 10 to 15kg strapped to my back whilst riding a big issue.

Yes it would give a higher center of gravity, but isn't it already a higher center of gravity?

Panniers just don't look right on a MTB, the only one I would consider is the alpskit underseat one.

As I am only planning around 30 miles per day (maybe more) then I can trial it by loading one of my existing packs with say 15ks and see how I get on.

I think panniers would affect the handling of the bike, and lets say worse case scenario frame breaks or something like that, then how would I carry the equipment if needed. In my mind the pack seems the better option. Will be carrying my home on my back.

Food is an easy option take it with me. And water carry enough provisions for 2 days with plans on topping it up daily. And having a backup system if I am unable to. Water filtration and sanitizers.

Realistically though, we live in the UK and not Aus or USA. So I doubt I would never be more than a few hours ride or a days walking from civilization.

How to keep fresh food cold is a question though. Eg, I took a few prepared meals with me. I wouldn't have it in me to hunt for food. Hell I get a smile from two rabbits I always see on my night commute back from work and always turn my light off when I see them.
  • Angus Young
    How to keep fresh food cold is a question though. Eg, I took a few prepared meals with me. I wouldn't have it in me to hunt for food. Hell I get a smile from two rabbits I always see on my night commute back from work and always turn my light off when I see them.

Just take a load of cook in the bag camping food. You'd be surprised how tasty it can be. There's lots of brands but this Wayfayrer stuff is pretty good...

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/camping/eating-and-drinking/camping-food

First time I tried this stuff I was quite surprised how tasty is was and it's an easy way to carry several day's food.
  • How to keep fresh food cold is a question though. Eg, I took a few prepared meals with me. I wouldn't have it in me to hunt for food. Hell I get a smile from two rabbits I always see on my night commute back from work and always turn my light off when I see them.

Just take a load of cook in the bag camping food. You'd be surprised how tasty it can be. There's lots of brands but this Wayfayrer stuff is pretty good...

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/camping/eating-and-drinking/camping-food

First time I tried this stuff I was quite surprised how tasty is was and it's an easy way to carry several day's food.

Seen the stuff before, but not sampled it yet. Was planning on taking lot's of dehydrated food, eg, rice pasta n sauce etc. But some require milk and I would like to have some fresh meat.

Though thinking about it, something like fried spam cut in to chunks and mixed in with some pasta, pesto and mushrooms doesn't sound too bad.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    You really don't want more than a few kilos on your back if you are cycling long distance, it will be murder.
    I can just about manage to carry 7 to ten kilos on my back on a dawn till dusk type ride, but regardless of looks, if your approaching ten kilos or more you should consider practicality over style and get racks and/or panniers.. You can always take them off after the trip.

If the weight is on the frame you can always drop to a lower gear if you get tired.. If it's on your back your stuck with it all the time, with the extra energy expenditure of needing to move around on the bike constantly with a big weight on your back... It won't be fun.
  • Angus Young
    and I would like to have some fresh meat.

Don't worry about being picky over fresh meat and stuff like that. You're only out for a few days, you'll get by. You need sustenance not luxury.
  • Well tried a sample ride of around 25 miles the other day with around 10kg approx on the back, was done using one of my older sacks an osprey.

Berghaus arete has been ordered.

I didn't feel uncomfortable with that weight on my back. Just made sure all straps were nice and secure.

Anyway bag has been selected and ordered. Now for the rest of the equipment.

Yeah maybe fresh meat would be a luxury. Will need substance over luxuries.

Browsing all the equipment is like an adventure on it's own.

Currently looking in to a away to keep my phone powered. Has a long battery life but for emergencies and music, need a way to keep it powered. Biggest flaw in some new phones you can't swap the battery out.
  • Angus Young
    Browsing all the equipment is like an adventure on it's own.

You can never have enough toys! :)
  • Browsing all the equipment is like an adventure on it's own.

You can, I have bought things that have never been used or used once.

But maybe some more toys won't harm.

I've learned to do the research now rather than thinking that looks good.

Wish I'd have decided earlier on in the year as we are approaching winter now. Artic gear haha?
  • Browsing all the equipment is like an adventure on it's own.

The only ones I want now are the helmet and sunglasses JN wears in easy rider.
  • Bag is here, impressed with it so far, ample big enough. Now need the rest of the toys to fill it with. Good to see MBUK doing a feature on bikepacking.