Stiff headset after hangin from wall

loudog
loudog Posts: 136
edited August 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
When my bike has been hanging on it's (super luxurious bespoke hand crafted European oak) wall hanger for a few days, and I take it down, The headset has fully stiffened up. As soon as I give it a bit of force and free it up again its perfectly fine. The bike hanger only holds the frame. Must be something in the headset thats being squeezed by the weight of the wheel & forks(?).

Any ideas?
It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    When was the last time you looked at the inside of the headset?

I bet never. Give it some love.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • loudog
    loudog Posts: 136
    Serious? Ive only had the bike 6 months! ridden it a fair bit though and actually I suppose today it did feel even a little stiffer than before.

FSA orbit headset btw..

6 Months??

I always forget that things are made crap these days..
    It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    One persons six months may be just a hundred miles, another's maybe a couple of thousand!

My commuting bike is still using a 2006 headset and has done 5,500 miles in the last 5.5 years.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    When was the last time you looked at the inside of the headset?

I bet never. Give it some love.

+1 take it apart, lower headset bearings suffer the most, give it a good clean and regrease. if it's still bad, replace the lower bearing / ball bearings