DHB R1 R2 with speedplay zero pedals

kirkee
kirkee Posts: 369
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello, Ive bought a pair of Speedplay Zeros as I have recurring knee probs, I have not unpacked them yet. I use DHB R1s and more recently R2s. I find the R1s a better fit the carbon sole R2s are obviously stiffer- is anyone using Speedplays successfully with DHB R1s or R2s?

cheers
Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will

Comments

• I have that exact combination.
    My DHB's are old - about 3-4years, but essentially the same thing.
    I've loved this combination - always feels very slick. Speedplays get a lot of bad press as being very needy, but I've not found that at all.
    The shoes are quite knackered now, so I've just bought a pair of Diadora Migs.

Just a warning, the speedplays are incredibly stiff to begin with. I was getting to the point where I thought I had been sent a duff pair. Once they have been broken in though, they are brilliant.
  • kirkee
    Thanks, sounds encouraging. Were your DHBs carbon soled or the glass reinforced like R1s?
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,149
    when you first fit them...

take time to see which of the spacers gives the best match to the curve of the sole

tighten the four cleat screws exactly as in the instructions, clipping in/out becomes much harder if you overtighten the cleats
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • kirkee
    I will have a look at setting them up this weekend on the R1s. Thanks for the tips