Eritrean sportsperson of the year

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited August 2015 in Pro race

Comments

• edeverett
    edeverett Posts: 224
    I dont' think they are big on voting in Eritrea.

In fact, going back there to be fêted by a despotic regime that keeps an entire population in servitude makes me like Teklehaimanot a lot less. (The racing is over, this is not now sport devoid of politics.)

Yes, I understand he may be in a difficult situation, family still there etc. but seeing the polka dot jersey used as proganda for one of the world's nastiest regimes makes me more than a litte bit uneasy.
  • but seeing the polka dot jersey used as proganda for one of the world's nastiest regimes makes me more than a litte bit uneasy.

not sure they need propaganda they are ranked BELOW North Korea in terms of press freedom. Dead last in the table . I think most Eritreans will think they got the yellow, green white as well!

A friend went on a voluntary IT initiative there about 10 years ago and was there for 3 years and said it was the best riding he had ever done - they used to do a 80 mile loop down to the Red Sea and back - he never really talked about the 'dark side'
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,633
    I've read before that Eritrea is ranked below North Korea for press freedom which I find mind boggling as I can't imagine how this is possible.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    I've read before that Eritrea is ranked below North Korea for press freedom which I find mind boggling as I can't imagine how this is possible.

Reading the survey methodology, I presume that in North Korea there is only a state controlled media with no independent journalism resulting in lower levels of violence against journalists. Where as in Eritrea there is some independent media but journalists are subject to greater levels of violence.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,633
    dish_dash, interesting - not sure it is how I would measure press freedom though.
  • dish_dash
    The index does not look at human rights violations in general, just violations of freedom of information. The index should in no way be taken as an indication of the quality of the media in the countries concerned.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    My limited understanding is that if you write some pro gov't stuff in North Korea off your own bat you won't have any problems.

Not sure that's necessarily the case in Eritrea.
  • dish_dash
    Interesting read. Not a pleasant place. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/17/inside-eritrea-glimpse-africas-most-secretive-state-two-men

Though two quotes stood out:
    Their stories tell differing but interlinked accounts about conditions in the country today – a topic of fierce debate that divides the growing Eritrean diaspora, with many keen to defend the regime.
    The regime has repeatedly rejected hundreds of millions of aid dollars, claiming it would turn Eritrea into another “spoon-fed” African nation.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    I was going to vote for the guy who walked to Libya across the desert, took a rubber boat half way across the med, Swam to Lampadusa then walked to Calais.

I see Jock Boyer is working over there these days developing cycling.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I was going to vote for the guy who walked to Libya across the desert, took a rubber boat half way across the med, Swam to Lampadusa then walked to Calais.

:(
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.