Should I keep it?

src1
src1 Posts: 301
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm thinking of getting a new bike to replace this one and wondered what people's thoughts were. Should it stay or go?

RG_TzNlNGOer7RV3idooaEfYto8x-CV6H_rkQDZG_pc=w1646-h1075-no

If I sell it, I'm not 100% sure what to get, but thinking about the new 2016 Giant TCR Advanced SL frameset with DA9000. I know the groupset is a big step up from DA7800, but what about the frame, any noticeable improvements?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    it's one of the best frames ever, hand made with lugs rather than cheap mould technology and I am not quite sure why you want/need a new one.
    left the forum March 2023
  • src1
    [url][/url]
    it's one of the best frames ever, hand made with lugs rather than cheap mould technology and I am not quite sure why you want/need a new one.

I've had since 2003 and always liked it, but think it's starting to look a bit tatty and dated. I did stick a new groupset on it last year but that somehow looked wrong. A bit like when people put fancy new alloys on an old car...

Plus 15 years of year on year "lighter, stiffer and more comfortable" must mean new frames are a huge improvement over this old thing!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,034
    I'd move on, try different bikes, you only live the once. You could always keep your Look frameset so if you end up moving on was a mistake you can build it back up maybe with more period parts and keep it as classic of the era.

I've also got a 585 which was my race bike up until 15 months or so ago - I prefer riding my modern monocoque carbon job - it feels that bit stiffer and seems a bit more point and shoot on high speed descents - but I think I'll probably keep the Look too.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • src1
    I'd move on, try different bikes, you only live the once. You could always keep your Look frameset so if you end up moving on was a mistake you can build it back up maybe with more period parts and keep it as classic of the era.

I've also got a 585 which was my race bike up until 15 months or so ago - I prefer riding my modern monocoque carbon job - it feels that bit stiffer and seems a bit more point and shoot on high speed descents - but I think I'll probably keep the Look too.

Thanks DeVlaemink, the other problem that I didn't mention is that I've already got too many bikes and really have to get rid of at least one.

I'm not sure it's a bike list I should admit to, but here goes:

1 kinesis gf ti v2 with ultegra 6800
    2. Enigma Equinox with DA9000
    3. Genesis Volare 953 with DA9000
    4. Look 585 with DA7800

Not sure how this happened, but really I only need 2 bikes: winter with mudguards and a summer one (I don't race any longer).

The look was in bits and in storage, but I just built it up with the intention to sell it. However, now it's built up, I wonder if one of the others should go. Or, sell 3 : genesis, enigma and the Look and buy one new one with the proceeds!

Decisions, decisions!
  • bjl
    bjl Posts: 353
    It's a tough one, I have a Look 595 and love it but have been wanting to try a modern top end carbon frame. Just got an Argon 18 Gallium Pro and first impressions are , it is amazing. I think I will ride this more than the Look now, my dilemma is should I keep it and use it for "second best " or just get. Not sure if the value of the frame would cover the "sentimental value " but realise it's better to move on sometimes. Only done 150 miles on the Argon at the minute, may wait till I've done a thousand or two , just to make sure .
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    IMO, there wouldn't be much difference between a new carbon frame and the 953/Dura Ace.
    So I'd keep what I have.
    Or if one must go, I'd sell the Enigma/Genesis, (I'd keep the Volare, it's my dream bike, 8) ) They both do the same job. Or sell both and buy one carbon beaut.

Either way, I wouldn't sell the Look, can't imagine it would be worth enough to overcome sentimental value?
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    +1 for Ugo's statement too.
    Maybe new Campy on the Look?
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,089
    +1 for Ugo's statement too.
    Maybe new Campy on the Look?

And some new wheels to make it feel different
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    2003? If it's for sale let us know.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've got a 2007 Look 585 Ultra and I refer to it as a keeper because it's not going anywhere, I've had plenty of other frames over the years but the Look always stays, it's absolutely faultless and it's a classic.
    I'm off up the Peak this morning and I know which bike I'll be on, the Look. I've got a BMC that sits next to the Look and at this time of the year it just gathers dust.
  • I would definitely keep that and give it a little spruce up.. I'd have a look at getting Chorus on it, along with some new finishing kit. (some nice traditional bend bars). Maybe some new wheels? I can't imagine it changing the feel of the bike overly much other than visually as the kit you have on it at the moment is decent.

The choice is yours.
  • Look make now , and did make back 10-15yrs ago some highly sought after bikes..and thats one of them. If you need to feel something get rid of one of the others, and maybe a full overhaul of the look, new h/set and BB in a nice colour, a Chris King setup maybe? And deffo..respray the frame if you want a "new bike" it would look (no pun intended) awesome in something like very deep purple or a rich red..OR, if you do decide to sell, make sure you get its true value…which WONT happen on here, the sales section on here is very cut throat!!
    Just my 2 pen north, either way, DONT get rid!!
  • src1
    edited August 2015
    I would definitely keep that and give it a little spruce up.. I'd have a look at getting Chorus on it, along with some new finishing kit. (some nice traditional bend bars). Maybe some new wheels? I can't imagine it changing the feel of the bike overly much other than visually as the kit you have on it at the moment is decent.

The choice is yours.

Here it was last year:
    fTfuaz6jdcLkBTVm8

How about a public vote? If you could only keep 1 of the bikes below, which would you keep and why?

1. Genesis Volare 953
    2. Enigma Equinox
    3. Look 585
  • ugo.santalucia
    I would definitely keep that and give it a little spruce up.. I'd have a look at getting Chorus on it, along with some new finishing kit. (some nice traditional bend bars). Maybe some new wheels? I can't imagine it changing the feel of the bike overly much other than visually as the kit you have on it at the moment is decent.

The choice is yours.

Here it was last year:
    nQJ6wpSueEqvTTD18

How about a public vote? If you could only keep 1 of the bikes below, which would you keep and why?

1. Genesis Volare 953
    2. Enigma Equinox
    3. Look 585

The Look, because carbon lugged construction is a work of art and a truly beautiful frame. The genesis is a just a generic frame and I always found Enigma frames pretty average. On the other hand, I assume the Engima is made to measure, so it should be the one that fits you best, although this is not necessarily the case...

Do you have a problem with corrosion in your household? You seem to have gone out of your way to make sure you avoid it... :wink:
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Add modern carbon Campy, some modern bars and some carbon wheels and it would look awesome. I love the look of older frames with modern parts.
  • Agree with the above. Modern kit on that frame would look good. Possibly a pre 2015 Campagnolo chainset rather than the new one which looks better on modern 'aero' frames. Maybe some RSY-SLR's too.
  • src1
    edited August 2015
    The Look, because carbon lugged construction is a work of art and a truly beautiful frame. The genesis is a just a generic frame and I always found Enigma frames pretty average. On the other hand, I assume the Engima is made to measure, so it should be the one that fits you best, although this is not necessarily the case...

Do you have a problem with corrosion in your household? You seem to have gone out of your way to make sure you avoid it... :wink:

The Enigma isn't custom made, but they all fit me fine...

Regarding corrosion, I may have over reacted, but have had problems with corrosion, both my last two winter bikes (Ribble winter alu and Kinesis TK2) suffered. Here's the Ribble:

W57TQrwqcz0yrV3oStjTPE8KrXK9ulSAlPfDH1q2xcY=w1024-h768-no

So to make the vote for the keeper more real, here are the contenders:

Look 585
    1Q3DfUEw-C7xGj6Lxx4xoxM3F2e4RirIGq5fu6v4x5w=w1048-h654-no

Genesis Volare 953
    3TMbeLkjY-gbPAxMMy9i9RulESRkt9n9OWgMtRzEkxY=w1573-h1075-no

Enigma Equinox
    DSbgfcHtjYnT9Gn92jzoEQOnDiaveSxFhmMJKD0TKtY=w1673-h1075-no

I really like the idea of getting the Look resprayed, probably in red. In current guises, I think they all weigh about the same and if forced to sell one, I think it'd be the Enigma as it's too similar to the Kinesis GF-Ti v2.
  • src1
    2003? If it's for sale let us know.

Was there something special about the early ones? I know Look introduced other versions of the 585 after mine. 585 ultra and origin, or something like that...
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    I really like the idea of respraying the Look, chucking some new wheels etc etc at it.

That would be pretty special me thinks ;)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • tlw1
    I would sell the enigma
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I see a similarity with this thread.
    (I've got the 16570)
  • src1
    The general trend seems to be to sell the Enigma and keep the Look.

Does that mean sell the enigma f+f, groupset and wheels all separately? I don't think putting the old groupset, etc. on the Enigma to sell as a complete bike makes much sense...
  • tlw1
    The general trend seems to be to sell the Enigma and keep the Look.

Does that mean sell the enigma f+f, groupset and wheels all separately? I don't think putting the old groupset, etc. on the Enigma to sell as a complete bike makes much sense...

it might actually help as it puts it in the price range of people who could stretch and then upgrade the groupset later
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Keep the look with the DA 9000 on it, and get shot of the Enigma.

Must admit, really like the Genesis as well, have a soft spot for steel bikes.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    This thread has started me thinking whether it is a good idea to buy the dream bike, especially if it lives up to your dreams.

Currently I also have a keeper but I secretly want another one which I don't really need and would have to find room for.

So much easier to not care about selling a previous workhorse to buy a new one.
  • ugo.santalucia

So much easier to not care about selling a previous workhorse to buy a new one.

SO much easier not to care too much about the bike... :wink:
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    That Look is cool, keep it (or give it to me).

I'd probably get rid of the Enigma if I was getting rid of one. But I want them all.
  • src1

I'd probably get rid of the Enigma if I was getting rid of one. But I want them all.

Maybe I should just buy another DA9000 groupset to put on the Look and then keep them all?! ;)
  • ugo.santalucia

Maybe I should just buy another DA9000 groupset to put on the Look and then keep them all?! ;)

7800 was the best groupset Shimano made, so your call... but unless there is something wrong with it, no reason to change it
  • src1
    7800 was the best groupset Shimano made, so your call... but unless there is something wrong with it, no reason to change it

I've had 7700, 7800 and 9000. I liked the look of 7800 when it came out, but looking at it now, the chainset is pig ugly. I also think 7700 might have been a bit better made, although shifting was a lot heavier with 7700 than anything later. IMO, 9000 is nicer to use than both.