XS 650b Frameset/Build

mickisup
mickisup Posts: 295
edited August 2015 in MTB buying advice
Looking for advice on where to look for this. Very mindful of weight, will need a custom build so would rather start with frame than waste money on parts I will need to remove anyway.
But seem limited choices?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    What sort of riding do you want to do? XC, trail, enduro, freeride, downhill?
    What's your budget?
  • mickisup
    XC, mainly racing.

Many thanks
  • rockmonkeysc
    Budget?
  • mickisup
    £1200
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For the full build I assume?

Many 26" frames will take 650B wheels and tyres without issues, especially if you go 1x gearing as that gets the front mech out the way, Fox 26" forks will also take 650B.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    But fitting the wrong size wheels ruins the handling. When I had my 26" Mega TR I rode one which had 650b wheels on the 26" frame. It had ruined the steering, cornering stability and made it just drop in to turns.
    A lot of frames don't have the space for bigger wheels, Giant Anthem, Specialized Camber and Boardman FS certainly won't have enough clearance.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For XC racing I was assuming a hardtail where the bigger wheels feel much the same as they do on a 650B HT.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.