Bike lock broken

Lungs94
Lungs94 Posts: 160
edited August 2015 in MTB buying advice
Ok so I was using my old beater to go to the shop successfully locked the bike up, but when I tried unlocking it, the key wont go all the way in and wont unlock, it's a U lock with the pins and it looks like the pins are stuck in the down position but the lock wont budge, is there anyway to break it off? bear in mind this is outside a busy shop and I don't want it looking like I am stealing a bike, I don't have access to car jacks, freezing spray etc
Bikes:
2013 Mondraker Dune XR - XX1 XO1 Hope, Easton Carbon, Fox
Voodoo Bizango XT - Hope, Pikes, Mavic

Comments

• Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Bit of WD40 or similar into the lock to see if it frees the pins?

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    ^that first
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I had this happen on a Magnus Plus lock, thankfully when I wanted to lock a bike up, not unlock a bike!

Despite soaking the entire lock in WD40 for 3 days with constant top-ups, it never unseized, so you may be unlucky - depends on exactly what's bust.

I'd suggest letting the lock manufactuer know what's happened ( is the lock under warranty still?) and get their advice - if they have none, call the coppers to let them know your about to turn up with an angle grinder and a generator..
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • has some scumbag filled it with something ? knowing you will have to leave it .
  • Lungs94
    Lungs94 Posts: 160
    It's a shitty old commuter, and a shitty old U lock, I don't have access to a grinder or anything like that. I was thinking since it is a cheap U lock I would be able to cut through it with a hacksaw?
    Bikes:
    2013 Mondraker Dune XR - XX1 XO1 Hope, Easton Carbon, Fox
    Voodoo Bizango XT - Hope, Pikes, Mavic
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Maybe.....take the key with you so you can at least prove it 'may' be your bike!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Don't underestimate even a cheap lock, without a decent set of bolt cutters it may be very difficult to remove. I'd contact the local police and let them know what's happened so you don't risk getting lifted trying to steal your bike (or worse, jumped by some vigilante), you never know, they might even come down with something to help you get the lock off or give you some better advice on how to remove it.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava