planet X or hand built aero

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
sorry another wheel thread! i am doing a refurb job on my enigma esprit instead of using a new bike. part of this was too get some new wheels. my current set are archetypes on hope hubs, to be fair i have really enjoyed these wheels and caused me no issues at all. i just feel i could do with some wheels for best.

so i have looked at more value sets like planet x and http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Aero-Tec-G50-Carbon-Clincher-Front-Rear-50mm-Wheels-Shimano-Sram-1450g-/121724344109?hash=item1c5756172d seem a really good price and weight. on the other hand dcr wheels will build 38mm carbon set for similar weight but i think about £625. i prefer the hand built now i have experienced them.

i feel the wheels like the aero-tec would be a improvement on the flat but the dcr set would probably be better in all terrain then what i have…but are not 50mm .

any thoughts on these wheels or other options welcome. i am a bigger rider though 95kg but that is dropping and i may not buy till i get my weight down more and make the new wheels a treat for next spring/summer.
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    The carbon tubulars (e.g. CT 45) are very good for the money, the clinchers are nothing special...
    left the forum March 2023
  • cc.cycle
    cc.cycle Posts: 29
    sorry another wheel thread! i am doing a refurb job on my enigma esprit instead of using a new bike. part of this was too get some new wheels. my current set are archetypes on hope hubs, to be fair i have really enjoyed these wheels and caused me no issues at all. i just feel i could do with some wheels for best.

so i have looked at more value sets like planet x and http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Aero-Tec-G50-Carbon-Clincher-Front-Rear-50mm-Wheels-Shimano-Sram-1450g-/121724344109?hash=item1c5756172d seem a really good price and weight. on the other hand dcr wheels will build 38mm carbon set for similar weight but i think about £625. i prefer the hand built now i have experienced them.

i feel the wheels like the aero-tec would be a improvement on the flat but the dcr set would probably be better in all terrain then what i have…but are not 50mm .

any thoughts on these wheels or other options welcome. i am a bigger rider though 95kg but that is dropping and i may not buy till i get my weight down more and make the new wheels a treat for next spring/summer.

This ebay guy who buys stuff on the cheap from planet x to then sell on himself has no connection to the original manufacturer of the planet x products. If anything goes wrong with these items does he offer you the same cover as buying the handbuilts? I'd think about that, heard some pretty bad stories about that ebay guy.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I was speaking to a guy on Sunday morning that has recently purchased a set
    of Aero-Tec-G50's of eBay and he's had no end of problems ! I wouldn't if I was you.

I also spoken recently to a couple of guys that have purchased From Zuus in Cumbria
    and they both speak highly of the wheels and the shop. Both guys were riding 50mmm
    Carbon clinchers (with no logo's) and at the moment they are £360 delivered !
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I was speaking to a guy on Sunday morning that has recently purchased a set
    of Aero-Tec-G50's of eBay and he's had no end of problems ! I wouldn't if I was you.

Hardly surprising... they look like the stuff that used to retail on Alibaba 5 years ago with those chunky rectangular spokes (bladed is a bit of a push for those)... they were dreadful wheels... they've probably been scooped up at a bargain price, re-stickered and back they are!
    left the forum March 2023
  • I've heard lots of good things about Wheelsmith wheels...
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    thats really interesting, i know someone who recently bought a bike from px, he was recommended those wheels! the zuus ones are interesting since can get 50mm for £400! and they look pretty nice to me. I'm quite undecided on exactly what to do, i may way now and set myself a target of weight loss then treat myself to something hand built and that bit more expensive!
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012