Sora triple front derailleur

ceeque
ceeque Posts: 52
edited August 2015 in Workshop
Not been around on the forums for a coupla years but read the site alot, been off the bike for a good few months too unfortunately ...so trying to get going again got me in a right quandary, 1st time out my triple front sora mech spring decided to break its housing off the mech, I now believe this to be quite a common problem.This mech is a Sora 3304,8 speed, finding a replacement is now almost impossible. The Sora 3304 is able to span a 22 tooth difference. The current "version" of it appears to be the Sora 3503 9 speed which only covers a 20 tooth difference. My chainset is a Sora triple 30/40/52 tooth setup, plainly 22 tooth diff. What I am wondering is will a 2 tooth difference be unmanageable or will I be able to get away with the 3503 mech?? Can`t seem to find out for sure! Please help me out here! Thanks a lot for your help if you can advise I`ll be most greatful!

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    If you were to try the 3503 FD and it was a problem could you not swop your 52T chainring for a 50T?
  • ceeque
    yep, you`re prob. right, could be the way to go, its just even more mucking about and cost to me!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I run a 5603 derailleur with 52/40/30 and it seems to work quite happily, despite the paperwork saying otherwise... Give it a go, you have to replace the derailleur anyway so what do you have to lose?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ceeque
    thanks for that Des, I will be ordering the 3503, simply can`t imagine 2 teeth being that big a deal somehow ...