Stem sizes and sore lower back

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all
Been off the bike for sometime, recent rides up to 20 miles Ive been troubled with a sore lower back after around 9 miles or so. I know the old body has to get use to cycling again but I do feel over stretched slightly whilst on the hoods. Currently running a 100mm stem. Would coming down to a 90mm be better than straight down to a 80mm

Comments

• top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Hi all
    Been off the bike for sometime, recent rides up to 20 miles Ive been troubled with a sore lower back after around 9 miles or so. I know the old body has to get use to cycling again but I do feel over stretched slightly whilst on the hoods. Currently running a 100mm stem. Would coming down to a 90mm be better than straight down to a 80mm
    Is there an experienced cyclist you know who could take a look at your bike position to see if there is anything obviously amiss or immediately improved upon? Assessing your own position and trying to affect change, is difficult. It could be lack of cycling familiarity, incorrect stem length, saddle height/position so I wouldn't be too rash in making any changes to the equipment until the whole position has been assessed a little more thoroughly. For saddle height, there are other methods I like using the 109% saddle height method as a starting point to getting a ballpark figure. Alternatively, if you bought the bike from a LBS could they provide some advice without going (and having to pay) for a full bike fit?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You can buy adjustable stems to experiment with.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Stretching exercises may help if you have been off your bike for some time.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Hi all

In the short term a different length stem might help but don't splash out. Instead take the opportunity to do some stretches or even better a few months of yoga sessions. It will improve more than just the lower back and better for you to get supple again than fit a bike to an unfit body. I dare say you had fitness in mind when you decided to get back on the bike.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Lower back pain can have a number of causes - one of which is that when riding a bike you use those muscles when pedalling - and not much at other times. So it may just be a case of underused muscles complaining at being pressed into service again.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Saddle set too high can be very good at causing lower back pain too, if someone experienced follows you they'd spot if your hips are rocking when you pedal which is a sign of saddle height being too high. As little as a couple of mm can make a big difference.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    A longer stem may help you get a flatter back and give you more space to stretch out into, instead of being hunched up in a shorter space. I wouldn't use a shorter stem personally; handling suffers, as does comfort.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    A longer stem may help you get a flatter back and give you more space to stretch out into, instead of being hunched up in a shorter space. I wouldn't use a shorter stem personally; handling suffers, as does comfort.

My bet too.
  • cc.cycle
    cc.cycle Posts: 29
    Saddle set too high can be very good at causing lower back pain too, if someone experienced follows you they'd spot if your hips are rocking when you pedal which is a sign of saddle height being too high. As little as a couple of mm can make a big difference.

I'd follow saddle advise first and then just adjust your stem according to the reach you end up needing. I have found that moving my saddle back, from being all the way forwards, made my back a lot better after some serious suffering. Also as the other user says, check the height of your saddle, too high is going to hurt. My friend who is a retul fitter says that about 70% of people the come in have their saddle too high.

If you find you often ride holding on to the front of your handle bars rather than the hoods you might want to considder a shorter stem, but only after getting saddle position sorted. You could also look at bars that are designed for short reach, as the ones that came with your bike might not accomodate that.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Compact bars eg FSA or Bontrager RXL may help. They use shorter reach and shallower drop.I replaced some Newtons last week and the difference is v.noticeable
    M.Rushton
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    +1 for saddle height. Ive got an MRI diagnosed compressed disc L4 and 5. Had back issues for years on the bike prior to the scan. I have found that I now ride a good 25 mm lower saddle ht than I used to and lowering has really helped with the back, knees still play up sometimes though. I used to be obsessive about top tube length/stem length and still got back pain. If in doubt lower. I do ride in a fairly compact reach position maybe compensating in that way also for the back?
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will