Horrendous crash at Tour of Utah

slim_boy_fat
slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
edited August 2015 in Pro race
Shocking crash at the 20 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCgyMkVwS24&feature=youtu.be

Goodness knows what might have happened if the car had not been there though.

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    Is that the Matt Brammier crash?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    It's Matt Brammeier. He broke some bones but nothing truly awful.

A couple of riders do the same to a motorbike about 20 seconds later (not as fast though).

I do wonder if it might be wise to put some sort of soft crash barrier on the really dodgy corners of descents. He wasn't the only one struggling there.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Motorbikes stopped in an awful spot giving the riders behind nowhere to go.

Not sure what the car could have done differently in the original incident though. Looked like Brammier was taking too much speed into the bend. If it wasn't the car, it was going to be spectators or the trees.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,743
    I remember not that long after taking up club cycling going along to Mallory to watch a 3/4 circuit race to see what racing was like before having a go myself. Not a bad podium...

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/22268/Mallory-Park-East-Mids-Cycle-Racing-League---27
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Used to ride a bit with matt in his junior days in Liverpool. He was a wild kid.

Glad to see he didn't come off too bad. He's had enough bad luck to last a lifetime
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Motorbikes stopped in an awful spot giving the riders behind nowhere to go.

Not sure what the car could have done differently in the original incident though. Looked like Brammier was taking too much speed into the bend. If it wasn't the car, it was going to be spectators or the trees.

Absolutely, Brammier was always crashing there. His speed and road position suggest he was completely unaware of the impending bend. That could have been a career ender hopefully he'll be back soon
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • If he hadnt hit the car he'd have been in the trees
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • If he hadnt hit the car he'd have been in the trees

Indeed, it's a rare day when you can say "Thank goodness I hit that car at 70kph!"
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810

A couple of riders do the same to a motorbike about 20 seconds later (not as fast though).

I do wonder if it might be wise to put some sort of soft crash barrier on the really dodgy corners of descents. He wasn't the only one struggling there.

Probably a better idea than the massive police cruiser that was on the outside of the corner! I can't remember a season where so many cars or bikes have interfered with riders. Are they struggling to find experienced people. Anyone know how these guys end up getting the gig?
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    I hope they had a proper pre race briefing? Also, they could have had marshalls 200m up the road to warn the riders of the impending sharp corner.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Nasty crash as already mentioned in the small races thread. Looks like he came in far too fast. The car is no way at fault.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,619

Don't they put straw bales there sometimes? Maybe not in Utah though.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Ouch, you see him endo as he hits the brakes first.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099

I've been thinking the meshing fences they use in skiiing might be suitably adaptable, and cheap, and reusable.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy

• I do wonder if it might be wise to put some sort of soft crash barrier on the really dodgy corners of descents. He wasn't the only one struggling there.

I've been thinking the meshing fences they use in skiiing might be suitably adaptable, and cheap, and reusable.

The Giro tried that a few years ago, they were never used in anger though, because Bjarne Riis decided he was going to alter the route after the stage had started.

It's a really strange accident, because from the angle of the camera, the bend doesn't look to be concealed. You see a rider go wide early on, but he's never in danger. Everybody else gets round and then Brammeier barrels in full pelt and only reacts when he's about 5 meters away from T boning the car. Maybe he was looking behind to see if anyone was coming up or looking at his computer/in a tuck or something.

@gietvangent
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545

Don't they put straw bales there sometimes? Maybe not in Utah though.

Salvation in Utah comes in more primitive forms. Surprised not to see entrepreneurial locals taking up such an obvious missionary position.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I wonder if he froze a bit when he saw the car? If the car hadn't been there he would have made the turn, but when he saw the car he froze/locked the brakes and had nowhere to go. It did look like he was carrying way too much speed into the corner, but some of the riders before him looked to be going just as fast and made the turn OK.

I know what's it like to freak out a bit and go straight instead of turning correctly when you think you're going to crash in a bend.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    That is a nasty one.

From the other angle it looks like he overcooked the previous corner and from then on was going to be struggling to make it round this one regardless of the cars being there or not
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Agree he was going too fast and was struggling to control the braking.

If you look and slow it down. At 19/20 secs as he appears in shot, his rear wheel is already jack knifed out behind him, so he must have had to come off the brakes to straighten up again. Over the next second he straightens up and heads towards the inside corner, where there appears to be some broken road which results in his rear wheel jumping and it only briefly touches down before he impacts the car.

Wish him well.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,743
    Anyone know the stage and about how long left - wouldn't mind seeing the context leading up to the crash.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Anyone know the stage and about how long left - wouldn't mind seeing the context leading up to the crash.
    Exactly my feelings.
    Was that the first bend on the descent. ??
    Was there any warning about the bend. ??

USA wide roads have usually got sweeping bends so that was a surprise to the cars in the first place and everybody else that followed.
    Fault is the Organisers.
    Doh,I think I will put on a Bicycle Race.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Everything was wrong there. Line. Approach speed. The car stopped him going into the ravine. That may well have been worse.

Horrible crash.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    Exactly my feelings.
    Here's a different video of it from a different angle: https://www.youtube.com/embed/lIsCtat5EQw

It looks like the hairpin bend caught him by surprise a bit. (No race radios to warn him).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Only about one rider in the video seem to take a line that you would take if you knew the road, all the others enter the bend too close to the apex. Problem with putting up fencing/hay/signs etc is at what point to you decide this corner needs extra safety this one doesn't. If it is on a circuit like more amateur races you are passing the corners many times but when you are only going around the corner once and taking 100s of others throughout the race it would lead to a massive expense and organisation headache
  • Not sure if ski netting would necessarily save injuries directly, but might make it easier to pick out the line of bends when the road's dipping awkwardly or in and out of shade? No guarantee it would have achieved much in this instance, but something about the various lines in and out of the corner suggests that it was hard to read from a distance.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    A very nasty stack. I like Mat as a personality and a rider but I feel sure he will be the first to admit he was 100% at fault. Going far too quickly and badly positioned on the road. Good job the car was there I think, could have been much worse going into the trees.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Exactly my feelings.
    Here's a different video of it from a different angle: https://www.youtube.com/embed/lIsCtat5EQw
    It looks like the hairpin bend caught him by surprise a bit. (No race radios to warn him).
    The early cars were not under complete control by the sound of those squeeling tyres.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    It doesn't help that cars and motorbikes went into self preservation mode and either took the racing line, slowed or even stopped giving the following cyclists no chance to adopt a new line at speed.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    His whole line was wrong though, all the others were far wider.

I really think the car could have saved his life in a way. had he have gone into a load of trees at that speed he would have come off a lot worse.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    You'd think just a warning sign back up the road a bit would do it? A warning sign and something painted on the road maybe.