new to mtbing

keane123b
keane123b Posts: 3
edited August 2015 in MTB buying advice
hi, just bought my first bike for 20 years,last one cost £40..seem to have gone all high tech now.. i bought a boardman team HT (i know alot will think its rubbish) i did get 25% off due to a sale and joining British cycling.
anyway been reading up..says from the pedal down to the top of the seat has to be 36 inches(for my height and inside leg)..it seems to high really..does your gonads no favours . does the handle bar stem, have to be level with the seat? mine seem to be a few inches lower.. i haven't rode it yet..only round the garden nearly fell off ha..

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As a very rough guide the correct height is if you stand with your heel and a straight leg when you have pedal at the bottom and can sit on the saddle. Too high causes various injuries due to over stretching. What size bike do you have and how tall are you?

Most people have the handle bars anything from level with the saddle to a couple of inches below. Too high unweights the front and too low can overweight the front but it is down to personal preference
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Boardmans are well respected in here, we don't do badge snobbery.

The saddle height should be set for efficient pedalling which means you leg nearly (but not actually) straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke, that is set by leg length and height is totally irrelevant, where it is in relation to your bars is less critical.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • As a very rough guide the correct height is if you stand with your heel and a straight leg when you have pedal at the bottom and can sit on the saddle. Too high causes various injuries due to over stretching. What size bike do you have and how tall are you?

Most people have the handle bars anything from level with the saddle to a couple of inches below. Too high unweights the front and too low can overweight the front but it is down to personal preference

5 foot 11.18 inches,in my day ,bike cross bars where straight..now they look like womens bikes..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lower top tubes help Standover (can be helpfull for emergency bailouts) without compromising the frame size.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    hi, just bought my first bike for 20 years,last one cost £40..seem to have gone all high tech now.. i bought a boardman team HT (i know alot will think its rubbish) i did get 25% off due to a sale and joining British cycling.
    anyway been reading up..says from the pedal down to the top of the seat has to be 36 inches(for my height and inside leg)..it seems to high really..does your gonads no favours . does the handle bar stem, have to be level with the seat? mine seem to be a few inches lower.. i haven't rode it yet..only round the garden nearly fell off ha..
    Where did you get this measurement? Seems very odd.

Your saddle height can only really be set by trial and error. If your hips are rocking then it is too high.

This will give you a height that is fine for smooth roads where you don't get out or the saddle.

In reality you will want it a tad lower and lower still when defending the rough stuff.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    The saddle height should be set for efficient pedalling which means you leg nearly (but not actually) straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke...

With your heel on the pedal.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    The saddle height should be set for efficient pedalling which means you leg nearly (but not actually) straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke...

With your heel on the pedal.

If you have your heel on the pedal then you have your leg straight (but not locked), then when you move pedal axle to front of arch/back of ball of foot, your leg will be slightly bent.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    your leg straight (but not locked)...

Which I would take to mean ever so slightly bent. Strictly speaking, unless you have universal knee joints, then locked is straight.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607