Cube Peloton Vs Bianchi Via Nirone 7

landers
landers Posts: 9
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Going to by getting my first proper entry level road bike in the next month or so, through the cycle to work scheme my work offers.

I have narrowed it down to bikes and now I am torn between them, really struggling to decide. Could use some advise before i hand over the best part of £1000

The bikes I am consdiring are:

Cube Peloton Race and the Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Xenon

On paper the Cube appears to have the better spec, fully 105 groupset, and is a little cheaper (£899 compared to £950). But the Bianchi looks awesome and has that Italian panache!

The thing im wondering is: Is there a noticable difference between the 105 groupset (everyone seems to go on about it) and the Campagnolo Xenon running gear on the Bianchi?

Dude in the LBS said the Campagnolo Xenon is bottom end of the range, but it's like buying a bottom end Lamborghini.. Is this correct.

I've had a fit on both and rode them on a static training thing. Didn't seem to be too much in it comfort wise, maybe the Bianchi has the edge. But I prefered the 105 shifters to the Campagnolo ones..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    It's head vs heart probably. Both very decent bike s for the money.

xenon although campag entry level, campag don't do low end group sets like Claris sort etc, so it probably about Tiagra / 105 level, although prettier. Both will change gears efficiently.

Wheels are probably more important than group sets, what do they come with, if you go thru Epic cycles for your Bianchi they have some good wheel upgrades, the Xenon can be had with fulcrum racing 7s I think, which are same as the racing 77s that come on the peleton, which are better than a lot of the wheels you'll get on a trek / giant etc for same money.

The via nirone frame is triple butted vs Cube double butted, so arguably will be lighter for similar strength, but doubt you'll notice the difference riding them, so go with what makes you feel best riding / looking at it! The peleton has internally routed cables which is decent for the price point, looks slightly neater but no performance benefit.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • landers
    It's head vs heart probably. Both very decent bike s for the money.

xenon although campag entry level, campag don't do low end group sets like Claris sort etc, so it probably about Tiagra / 105 level, although prettier. Both will change gears efficiently.

Wheels are probably more important than group sets, what do they come with, if you go thru Epic cycles for your Bianchi they have some good wheel upgrades, the Xenon can be had with fulcrum racing 7s I think, which are same as the racing 77s that come on the peloton, which are better than a lot of the wheels you'll get on a trek / giant etc for same money.

The via nirone frame is triple butted vs Cube double butted, so arguably will be lighter for similar strength, but doubt you'll notice the difference riding them, so go with what makes you feel best riding / looking at it! The peloton has internally routed cables which is decent for the price point, looks slightly neater but no performance benefit.

Yeah that what I was thinking tbh. I love the look of the bianchi and the cube is a bit boring for my liking. The bloke at the shop said if be better off with a frame I really like as wheels/group sets and everything can be changed. So if I like the feel/look of the Bianchi go with that. And if I wanted to I could upgrade to the 105 at some point.

Also, from what I've read Campagnolo stuff is top drawer.

Wheels are as follows:

Front Rim: Reparto corse Road Runner
    Front Hub: Fac Michelin Racing B100
    Rear Rim: Reparto corse Road Runner
    Rear Hub: Fac Michelin Racing B130
    Tyres:Vittoria Zafiro Slick 700x25
  • dean7879
    dean7879 Posts: 127
    Just to be awkward , have you considered the cannondale caad8 ? its a fantastic aluminium frame and i felt it was more spritely than the cube peleton 8)
  • landers
    Just to be awkward , have you considered the cannondale caad8 ? its a fantastic aluminium frame and i felt it was more spritely than the cube peloton 8)

I didn't, I had my heart set on the bianchi initially. Looking at life through Celeste colour glasses. The three I had lined up where the two above and the Giant Defy 1. But the giant didn't do a whole lot for me, plus the guy trying to sell me it was a bit abrupt and wouldn't even let me sit on the bike until I was ready to hand cash over!
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    As much as I'm a Campagnolo fanboy, the Xenon groupset is getting on a bit now. Campag stopped selling them as retail in 2008/9 though they do supply them as OEM to Bianchi and Willier. 105 is a much better groupset.

Saying that, depending on your size, google for the Bianchi Impulso Veloce - there are some around for about the £950 mark. A good saving on the RRP if the shop will sell at the sale price for the Cycle To Work scheme.
  • landers
    As much as I'm a Campagnolo fanboy, the Xenon groupset is getting on a bit now. Campag stopped selling them as retail in 2008/9 though they do supply them as OEM to Bianchi and Willier. 105 is a much better groupset.

Saying that, depending on your size, google for the Bianchi Impulso Veloce - there are some around for about the £950 mark. A good saving on the RRP if the shop will sell at the sale price for the Cycle To Work scheme.

Yeah I initially thought that too. As that would be ideal.

Unfortunately you have to pay full retail for the C2W scheme as the shop lose 10% on the bike.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I had my heart set on the bianchi initially

If costs and specs don't separate them, and even if they do, there's your answer!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • pashda
    pashda Posts: 99
    I have had that model of Bianchi since 2008 with the Xenon groupset.
    I was same as you heart said Bianchi, head said there are better spec alternatives.
    Heart won and was the right choice. I still have the same groupset but have obviously replaced chain and cassette a couple of times and the cables once after 5 years. The shifting is still spot on and I would say is as good as the 105 groupset I have on another bike. Wheels are ok, I replaced mine last year when they wore out.
    despite the aluminium frame it is a smooth ride I think thanks to the carbon forks and I still use mine occasionally but have another Bianchi as No.1 now.
  • Cliveyp
    Cliveyp Posts: 173

Yeah I initially thought that too. As that would be ideal.

Unfortunately you have to pay full retail for the C2W scheme as the shop lose 10% on the bike.

This isn't always the case, so if you see the Impulso below your voucher limit, don't discount it until you've spoken to the retailer. Some places charge a £100 'admin' fee, some 10% and some just ignore it and sell at the sale price.

I had my MTB at the reduced cost through C2W a couple of years ago, and am picking up my new roadie this week (Ridley Fenix) which is also reduced and going through Bike2Work - with me adding the additional cash on top of my £1k voucher.
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
    2001 Giant Boulder - Sold
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    I've got a Via Nirone albeit a Veloce. If the wheels are the same as mine I'd ditch them, I got some Zondas. Xenon is alright, had it on my old Fondriest, better than the Sora on my winter bike that always needs indexing. To be honest though, as much as I love my Bianchi, I'm the first to admit there are better bikes for the money. But I'd buy another Bianchi in a flash.
  • landers
    Plot twist!

After lots of deliberation I finally made my choice...

Decided to go for the Cube Peloton SL in Black and White

As much as the Bianchi's look amazing, the spec is really down for other bikes of the same price (£950RRP), and i could'nt ignore it. Was niggling in the back of mind that i would be missing out.

At my LBS the have a 10% of Cubes so ended up with I a LOT of bike for my cash.

The spec is insane for £890! I'm really happy with my choice, can't wait to ride it.