What one? Idol or Cento1SR

alexroadieguy
alexroadieguy Posts: 7
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello people of Bikeradar.

I really need your help... this has been going on for several weeks now, my girlfriend and mates dont want to get involved anymore. You are my last hope :-)

So I am in between Wilier Cento 1 SR and the De Rosa Idol - both have the same wheels and ultegra 6800 11spd. Pictures vary from that spec but they are both the same on components.

http://cdn.coresites.factorymedia.com/rcuk/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/wilier1.jpg

http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360099804/De-Rosa-Idol-Ultegra-11-Spd-14-Free-Starter-Kit-ex-demo-Road-Bikes-Grey-idol1459-5-exdmo.jpg?w=2000&h=2000&a=7

I want something which is "comfortable" as I am planning to do the Haute route (7 days across the alps) so it needs be good on the climbs (light-ish) and reduces road chatter, etc. Im going to change up the wheels and I dont think there is anything in the weight.

I do 100km to 200 per week and my flexibility isnt great but I am working on it....

I have tried to find a local IBS which have the bikes but none have them in stock. I know it comes down to which one I prefer, so I am thinking the Wilier in terms of looks... but I think the De Rosa might be a slightly better ride (?!) and also I am not sure due to the integrated seatpost on the Wilier will fit in my bike box.

Please give me your opinion on which bike....It will be valued and much appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

Comments

• Come on guys... you have a opinion? I would really appreciate you sharing.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    I can't add any value in the comparison of the two bikes. I ride a Cento Uno SR and I'm an old s*d and find it comfortable, responsive. No idea about the Idol though.
    One thing to bear in mind though... the latest incarnation of the SR has done away with the ISP.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • pjm300
    pjm300 Posts: 58
    I can't add any value in the comparison of the two bikes. I ride a Cento Uno SR and I'm an old s*d and find it comfortable, responsive. No idea about the Idol though.
    One thing to bear in mind though... the latest incarnation of the SR has done away with the ISP.

Interesting (and kind of off topic), but do you know whether the new seatpost could fit the old ISP frame (if the mast is cut)?
    I know the old Cento Uno allowed you to use a normal seatpost if you cut the mast, but havent been able to find a way to allow this to happen on the SR.

For the OP, I have the SR and its great (although only comparing against my old Allez Sport). Got it built up at Math Salden here in the Netherlands and it was a fair bit cheaper than buying one of the stock builds.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974

Interesting (and kind of off topic), but do you know whether the new seatpost could fit the old ISP frame (if the mast is cut)?
    I know the old Cento Uno allowed you to use a normal seatpost if you cut the mast, but havent been able to find a way to allow this to happen on the SR.

No idea about whether the new seatpost will fit a cutdown ISP model but you could try, as a first pass, giving the guys at ATB Sales a call... 01424 753566

I've found them quite helpful.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Thanks for the reply guys. I think Im going for the Wilier, I think the visual appeal is doing it for me. I am in between sizes, which is now the next issue... I just want to buy a bike. :-)

I had to call ATB sales about a few things. They were more helpful than the 2 retailers I have spoken too.

I am amazed at the lack of customer service from retailers when speaking about a new bike. I know the margins aint huge but gees...
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Good decision (I may be biased :) ) and yes, ATB are brilliant.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Might be a bit late with a response but i have an Idol and absolutely love it. I have upgraded the parts considerably but other than the wheels most of the changes were personal taste rather than out of necessity. It's now my favourite bike. Its racy and very comfortable. Cant offer an opinion on the Wilier but with a wheel change, the idol is fantastic.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • I havent pulled the trigger yet.... :-) interested in peoples thoughts still..