Ribble R872 sizing

Cawersk
Cawersk Posts: 3
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi

I'm i about to buy a Ribbe R872 road bike but i'm not quite sure as to which size to buy.
My inseam lenght is 81cm, torso 61cm and i'm 176cm high.
The frames geometry:
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/assets/images/FrameGeometryR872.jpg

I live in Denmark and so i don't have the possibility to try the bike before buying.

Hope someone has some advice :)

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    With your height you're just on the cusp of the 480 and the 498 sizing. Generally in those situations the advice would be to go for the smaller frame as the received wisdom is that it is easier to adjust the fitting on a smaller frame by seatpost height and stem length.

It is more difficult if the frame is marginally too big as reducing the stem length can compromise handling and reducing the saddle height may give you an awkward or non existent saddle to bar drop.

My advice would be to copy down the geometry parameters of the 2 sizes and have a check around your local bike shops to see if there are any frames from other manufacturers that closely match the Ribble sizing. You can then at least sit on a few to check out how they feel for size before committing yourself.

Also check out with Ribble what there exchange policy is in the event that the size you choose is the wrong one.
  • Cawersk
    Cawersk Posts: 3
    Yeah, that was what i thought.

Great, that was what i had found out but i wasnt sure. I think i will go for the 48.0 and put a 120mm stem on it is that far off?

Good idea to copy the geometry maybe i'll do that first :)
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    If it's any help, I'm just about the same height and inseam as you and was looking at the R872. I was going to go with the 480 - the 498 was too big (a friend had one in that size and it was just a bit too big).

I got something else in the end, but the R872 is a great bike.