Getting custom frame made - any advice?

insanefred
insanefred Posts: 7
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone,
First post after being a long time lurker.

I've just stumbled on a guy near me who has been building bike frames for a couple of years, and it's got me thinking - I need a commuting/winter bike, and I was about to buy a nice steel 631 frame with chromed shiny bits in the LBS; but for about the same price, this chap would weld me up something comparable, and customised.

Here's the current plan...
Columbus Zona tubeset, 57cm frame, old school racer geometry, but fairly relaxed. Something like a Shand Skinnymalinky, yum... Curved steel fork, 1 and 1/8 headtube.
Braze-ons to include mudguards, rear rack.
Was tempted by discs, but happy to stick with calipers at present.
Powder blue, and he'll get a stem painted to match

He's asking 50% up front, which seems fair enough. Build time up to 8 weeks.

So, having never done this sort of thing before, what sort of questions should I be asking him? I assume he'll guide me through it, but he's not been at it that long, either.
I understand it's slightly risky, but I'm prepared to give the guy a shot, support local businessman sort of thing.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    My questions would be:-

Can he show you examples of his work - either at his workshop or with previous customers?

If he has a previous customer base, is he willing to have you contact them to gauge their satisfaction?

Is the old school racer geometry something you've ridden before or is it more of a whim?

On a handbuilt frame I would be more inclined to copy the geometry of something I had ridden before that was comfortable rather than end up with a new set-up that ends up being a pain to ride.

The 50% up front seems fair enough but what contingencies do you have if the end result is a "plank". Will he modify or rebuild at his cost or yours?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If using it for training / winter then I'd almost certainly go for disc brakes. Ask to see any examples of the builder's work.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Arlowood - The geometry will be based on the Klein that I ride at present, but slightly more relaxed. I'll get a chance to have a look at a couple of his most recent frames, but I'll certainly ask for contact details for recent customers, good idea. The balance of the payment is due after the frame is completed to my satisfaction, there would be some room for manoeuvre.

Monty Dog - I'm havering about discs... I suppose getting the disc mounts brazed on at the start would be easier than sticking them on at a later date when I change my mind... but a frame designed for discs is going to be substantially different than one that's not, I suppose? Different forks, for starters?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561

Monty Dog - I'm havering about discs... I suppose getting the disc mounts brazed on at the start would be easier than sticking them on at a later date when I change my mind... but a frame designed for discs is going to be substantially different than one that's not, I suppose? Different forks, for starters?

Not necessarily. I built up a 2014 Genesis Equilibrium Disc frame earlier this year and that still had the steel forks as standard with the classic "old school" sweep at the drop-outs

16738172600_2d35030369_c.jpg

So the addition of disc mounts shouldn't compromise your plans. Maybe the fork blades may have to be slightly chunkier to cope with the additional forces with discs but it won't spoil the look IMHO. The 2015 Genesis Disc frameset has carbon forks and they are the current straight bladed style.
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    Custom bike builders can get hold of disc-specific fork blades from one of the main UK tubing & parts suppliers now.

If you're going for discs then you really need to make sure that the frame is considered that way from the start. First off, the backend will be spaced at 135mm not 130mm as disc hubs almost always have a larger spacing. There are standard disc dropouts that are really good. Paragon Machine Works make a low-mount disc drop that lets you run a normal mudguard and rack.

How is the builder constructing the frame? Is it lugged, fillet brazed or TIG welded?
  • Genesis bikes are probably the main reason I'm getting this one made! Ogling them gave me the notion for getting a steel frame. It's going to be fillet brazed. Ah, decisions, decisions! If I get a disc setup, then I can't use my lovely Campag Record/Open Pro CD wheels, and will have to end up shelling out for Hope Evo 2/Open Pro wheels, plus all the disc paraphrenalia...
    If I get the rear spaced for 135mm, I take it adding a washer or something would allow the usual 130mm non-disc hubs to be used?
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Condor used to gap at 132.5 at the back as they said that'd allow road or mtb wheels to be used.....
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    If I get the rear spaced for 135mm, I take it adding a washer or something would allow the usual 130mm non-disc hubs to be used?

... if you brake with your feet...
    left the forum March 2023
  • mikenetic
    Condor used to gap at 132.5 at the back as they said that'd allow road or mtb wheels to be used.....

That's pretty much fallen by the wayside now, as road discs hubs are (for the moment :roll: ) pretty much all 135mm.
  • mikenetic
    Genesis bikes are probably the main reason I'm getting this one made! Ogling them gave me the notion for getting a steel frame. It's going to be fillet brazed. Ah, decisions, decisions! If I get a disc setup, then I can't use my lovely Campag Record/Open Pro CD wheels, and will have to end up shelling out for Hope Evo 2/Open Pro wheels, plus all the disc paraphrenalia...

Why would you use Open Pro on a disc setup? You can get a set of wheels made with a disc-specific rim that doesn't have a braking surface milled onto it. You could go for Pacenti SL25s. Another popular option are H Plus Son Archetypes, which although they do have a braking surface are supplied black anodised so that the rim looks tidier in a disc application than a 'standard' rim.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If you name the supplier - I'm sure someone here will have used him before.

I'd make sure your clearances are good - you want guards and you want wide tyres for a winter bike.

And from my experience on custom frames - the build always runs late....
  • Mikinetic - I like the Open Pro CD grey coloured rims - at least I could get some use out of them on my other bike, should the need arise.
    Ugo - if I wanted to run it with calipers, of course!
    Fenix - I can pretty much guarantee that no-one has heard of this guy, he's very small scale, based in Northern Ireland.
    I met up with the guy today, had a look at the bike that I cycled in on, and I'm impressed with his work - nice neat welds, well thought out geometry, he's happy to be flexible with what I want, and he's given me details for his last customer to speak to.

Still not sure about the discs! But I'll speak to his previous customer about his experience, and then see if I want to plonk a deposit down on this!
  • kayodot
    kayodot Posts: 143
    ...can't you just post the name already?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Not convinced by rogue builders. Is he really going to be able to deliver something at least on par with the Ritchey Swiss Cross disc for what is most like quite a bit more cash?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • The builder is Paul Mullin, goes by coastroadcycles.com That Ritchey frame does look good - I had thought about a Road Logic, buy again I'd rather use someone local. Yes, it may be a bit dearer, and more of an unknown quantity, but I'm prepared to take a bit of a risk on it, assuming that there are no big red flags.
  • redhanded
    redhanded Posts: 139
    I've had a custom frame made for me and going local is good as I think it is much easier to discuss the fine details face to face with things in front of you rather than by email or the phone.

I spoke to several builders beforehand (I'm in London so there is quite a lot of choice...) and all of them wanted measurements from a bike fitter rather than just copying an existing bike so you might want to think about that.

I did want discs as I think that is the way things are going, and the bike will last for decades but that's just my thoughts. The builder used disc dropouts from Paragon Machine Works.

+1 to things taking longer than anticipated. You'll almost certainly need to pay up front for the components and sods law will say that a component you want will be out of stock...
  • limoneboy
    limoneboy Posts: 480
    You can get a ritchey logic for about £670 frame and forks from hibike , worth a look and great frames.

The builder is Paul Mullin, goes by coastroadcycles.com That Ritchey frame es look good - I had thought about a Road Logic, buy again I'd rather use someone local. Yes, it may be a bit dearer, and more of an unknown quantity, but I'm prepared to take a bit of a risk on it, assuming that there are no big red flags.
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1