Spokes too long - nipple washers?

liamo88
liamo88 Posts: 14
edited August 2015 in Workshop
Hi,
I used various online calculators to work out spoke lengths for a Hope mono rs hub and archetype rim 28h front wheel and came out with 287mm for 2 cross, after lacing this evening it appears that theses spokes are too long, i.e. the nipples are tightend down so the top of the spoke is just protruding from the top of the nipple, and the spoke s are not up to tension, my question is should I waste the £30 I just spent on the spokes and buy shorter, or will using nipple washers help these spokes work?

dimensions taken from hope: flange diameter 38mm both sides, centre to flange 34.5mm both sides.
and archetype rim erd = 595mm

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    The errors you made are due to not measuring yourself.

38 is the flange of the old PRO 3, the new are 41. The ERD of Archetype is 592 and not 595. Basically that means you are a couple of mm too long. You can try rim washers, as you suggest, but I suspect you need more than that and I would rather get the correct length
    left the forum March 2023
  • liamo88
    So I guess that my spoke lengths for the rear 288mm and 290mm are going to be wrong for a 3cross pattern as well. :cry:
    rear hub dimensions used: diameter 47 left 54 right, centre to flange 34.5 left 16.5 right. with you erd of 592
    would give me sizes of 289 and 286 according to online calc. Are these the lengths you would use ugo?
  • liamo88
    also I have just done some measurements for the ERD using the method described on this page: https://leonard.io/edd/howtomeasure , and I get 595mm. on that link they do list two ERD one being 591mm and one stating "newer 470g version" which is 595mm, which matches my measurements and those stated on H plus sons website.

So I may be all right for the rear as long as the dimensions from hope for the rear hub are correct. :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    A rear 28 or 32?

I don't give a monkey what Lennard says on the matter... the ERD of an archetype rim (and they have been 470 grams for almost 4 years now) is 592 and not 595. If in doubt, measure it again and remember you don't plot the full nipple length, but only Length - 2 mm, so 10 mm for a 12 mm nipple
  • liamo88
    rear 32h
  • ugo.santalucia
    rear 32h

286/289 although I normally use 285/288 with DT Swiss 14 mm nipples.

Either way 288/290 are too long, especially the drive side
  • liamo88
    Thanks for your help. I guess its a case of lesson learned. :oops: been out this afternoon and bought a decent vernier gauge and engineers rule

Hopefully as I haven't opened the spokes for the rear yet I should be able to swap them for the right size.

Thanks again.