Ideal road frame size for 194 cm (approx. 6' 4")

panacik
panacik Posts: 4
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello, I'm planning to buy my first road bike. Until now I have been riding only MTBs, my last was 22" (XL) Merida MTB.

I'm thinking of Focus Culebro SL 2.0 (here is the geometry: http://www.focus-bikes.com/gb/en/bikes/2015/road/performance-culebro/culebro-sl-20.html#chapter-3).

I'm 194 cm (which corresponds approximately to 6' 4") tall. In charts I find myself between XL (58) and XXL (61) size. My inseam height is 92 cm (36.22"). Could you please give me some advice? Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    An XL Focus is not big enough for you. WIth a 36" inseam you should be looking at either the 2XL or 3XL sizes (assuming they do the same sizes as the Cayo). I am a 35.5" inseam at 6'4" and ride an XXL Wilier.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • panacik
    Thanks for the reply, I also think that 2XL may be better for my height, but articles about bikes of pro riders (e.g. http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/pro-bike-lars-booms-specialized-s-works-tarmac-43649/) are quite confusing. In the given article he is just 3 cm (1.18") shorter than me and he is riding L (56).
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Well, the great secret is that it's hard to be 'too big' for a frame, and smaller frames can be compensated for with long seatposts/stems. Too large frames are a lot harder to fit.

Pro's ride frames that are 'too small' for them because they allow them to get into a lower, more aerodynamic position because they can fit the handlebars lower. There is also some suggestion that a smaller bike frame is more rigid and so gives slightly better power transfer from pedals to wheels.

If you find yourself between suggested frame sizes, get the smaller bike if you want to race or want a nippier ride for quick blasts, get the larger bike if you intend to do long steady rides or are less flexible.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Pros are not a good proxy for mortals. Wiggins is circa 6'3 or 6'4 and rides a 56 Dogma from memory. Unless you can deal with a big saddle to bars drop with a long stem then you have to be looking at frames with 59/60 TT and probably around 20' HT. if you are unsure of your sizing, as always the best advice is to get properly fitted !
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    My inseam is 36.5" and i ride a 62cm 1.5 trek road bike, with the stem in the upright position as i didn't want alot of drop. The reach and stack measurements are useful for comparing bikes.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    You will make life easier by going for a frame with more traditional geometry and not compact geometry.
  • simnorm
    simnorm Posts: 4
    I'm your height, similar inseam and I ride a 62cm Focus Cayo (3XL) with traditional geometry, not the newer sloping top tube Cayos.

To give you an idea
    thumb_DSC_1060_1024.jpg
  • panacik
    What is the difference between traditional and compact geometry (I don't know as I'm new to the whole road bike topic)?

simnorm: thanks for the photo of your bike. It looks really nice. Is it better to ride with the smaller drop?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    One thing i forgot to mention is the gurufit service. It allows you to test ride various bikes and setups to see what fits you. If a bikeshop near you has it, it saves them needing to order in large sized bikes they cannot sell and you get the right size first time. They should give you a quick go for free to confirm sizing.