Bib Shorts - How tight is too tight?

alpineaddict
alpineaddict Posts: 247
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
I've owned some Argon 18 Bib shorts (a couple of pairs, both XL) for a while now and have now been looking at other brands, designs etc. but I'm finding ridiculous variations in sizing for some brands...

I've recently ordered some Ale bib shorts (L and XL) and I am wondering if even the XLs are perhaps a bit tight...???? :shock: They are wafer thin in their construction, even the shoulder straps are extremely thin...

I do suffer with having slightly larger thighs, but everywhere else I consider myself quite trim (5ft 10, 73kgs, waist 33 inch)...

So, what are the signs to look for to let you know the tights are too tight... Apart for the obvious, not being able to get them on.. :wink: :?: :?:

Comments

• craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    As long as they are comfy and don't start to go see through?
  • KheSanh
    KheSanh Posts: 62
    Camel toe. Let's just say some designs of chamois aren't a good cut especially if they are on the tight side.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    Do they feel tight when you're in the riding position?

Shorts should be a very snug fit so you don't have any excess movement around the pad (this causes friction and saddle sores) and therefore will feel like they don't fit when you're stood up.

Looking at your size etc you would be Medium in Parentini shorts, so either Ale are sized on the small size, or you are wearing shorts that are too big!
  • Looking at your size etc you would be Medium in Parentini shorts!

[Other barnds are available]
  • The shorts I wear have never felt too tight when riding, however I do seem to have habit of pulling the shorts down my legs as they ride up, when I ride... The Ale ones feel 'ok' when stood up, and when in riding position (not actually ridden in them yet as just bought) and ease up around the shoulders, where they feel a little tight when stood up...

I'm pleased that the issue of Camel toe has come up as my Argon 18 shorts tend to do this when off the bike, but I don't think they will do anything but, unless i take the shoulders off and pull the shorts down ever so slightly...???

So are you saying that camel toe is a good indicator, or it does happen with some cuts of bib shorts :oops: :shock:
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    The shorts I wear have never felt too tight when riding, however I do seem to have habit of pulling the shorts down my legs as they ride up, when I ride... The Ale ones feel 'ok' when stood up, and when in riding position (not actually ridden in them yet as just bought) and ease up around the shoulders, where they feel a little tight when stood up...

I'm pleased that the issue of Camel toe has come up as my Argon 18 shorts tend to do this when off the bike, but I don't think they will do anything but, unless i take the shoulders off and pull the shorts down ever so slightly...???

So are you saying that camel toe is a good indicator, or it does happen with some cuts of bib shorts :oops: :shock:

If shorts fit perfectly you shouldn't have to mess with them – fit and forget. It could be that your current shorts leg grippers aren't strong or 'grippy' enough.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Camel toe. Let's just say some designs of chamois aren't a good cut especially if they are on the tight side.

The male equivalent is a moose knuckle.