Campy shifter rattle

phmt
phmt Posts: 52
edited December 2016 in Workshop
I'm sure I'm not the only with this problem as it has occured on both my Campy bikes.

Essentially the up shifter under the brake leaver starts to rattle on anything but smooth tarmac, which is rare.
As I can make out it seems to be that the spring used to keep it pressed against the brake lever is not as strong as it once was. It's on the right shifter which get used a lot more than the left hence adding to my assumption that the retention spring has worn.

Firstly is my diagnosis correct? and how to I fix it?

Thanks,

Comments

• Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    That sounds reasonable. It is the only thing keeping the change lever pressed forward against the brake lever.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Which shifters? On none of my Campag shifters do the paddles rest against the brake lever. Are you sure it's not the brake lever rattling? I've had that before. Turned out to be the brake calipers not returning fully.

Has the rubber bump stop on the back of the brake lever gone missing?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Make sure the brake cable has no slack. Sugru on the front of the lever if you've lost the little rubber bumper
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Niker
    Niker Posts: 1
    Hi, I was helped by this method. The reason is that the weakened spring lever. Old Shifters Ergopower Veloce mk2.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqdK5HzQf4g