Specialized Footbeds

JimboM
JimboM Posts: 380
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
I suffer from numb toes when riding which a change of shoes and cleat position hasn't helped so thought I'd give the Specialized footbeds a shot. Can't get too a dealership easily but after doing the basic wet foot test it looks like blue will be the best option for me. However there appears to be a BG Footbed and a BG SL footbed. Is there any real difference between the two or is the SL just in newer packaging and gives them an excuse to charge you for the shim pack separately !

Cheers
Cannondale Synapse 105
Giant FCR3
GT Avalanche 3.0
Canyon Nerve AM 6.0

Comments

• buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    I started using these recently due to a running injury and would definitely recommend them. They feel a bit weird at first, but once you're riding you soon forget that they're there and my suspected plantar fasiciitis definitely doesn't feel as aggravated as it did after previous long rides due to the arch support.

If you go into the shop, basically all they do is make you stand on a heat sensitive pad that shows you the shape of your footprint (exactly as you'd see from a wet foot test anyway) and follow the same basic guidelines, which worked well for me (also a medium/blue/++ user). You get the advantage of being able to try them out for comfort before purchase I guess, but if you're buying online then you could just get all three and send back the ones that you don't want.

The guy in the shop told me that they should just be very lightly touching the arch of your foot and definitely not raising it up at all and I'd definitely agree with that. The difference between the three levels (red, blue and green) is quite big though, so if you think you're a blue then I'd say you're pretty safe to go with it. I tried the green and it felt like I had a huge rock under the inside arch. I think you're right about the BG vs BG SL, just a new box, colour scheme and no toe shims.

Finally, if you're a multi-sport person like me, definitely don't buy them with the expectation of using them for running too. They're way too stiff and solid to use in running shoes, you'll end up doing more damage than good.
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    Recommended here as well. Bought to solve numb feet and made a massive difference for me. I bought the green ones as blue were not aggressive enough. Interestingly the spesh guy said I wouldn't benefit much because my arch supports itself but I've found they help.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • After basically coming to the conclusion that all footbeds that come with most cycling shoes are pretty pants I took the plunge and bought some yellow Superfeet ones. The difference is phenomenal..night and day…and they are not bank breakers either, they just do the job…no convoluted sales pitch..you just put them in..ride whatever distance and your feet feel like you've been wearing slippers.Cant big them up enough!!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    After basically coming to the conclusion that all footbeds that come with most cycling shoes are pretty pants I took the plunge and bought some yellow Superfeet ones. The difference is phenomenal..night and day…and they are not bank breakers either, they just do the job…no convoluted sales pitch..you just put them in..ride whatever distance and your feet feel like you've been wearing slippers.Cant big them up enough!!

No, you have bigged them up enough there. I use them too and they also work very well for me, but I haven't tried anyone else's feet and shoes with them so I wouldn't go further than saying that they could be worth trying, same as with anything else shoe related.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I suffer from numb toes when riding which a change of shoes and cleat position hasn't helped so thought I'd give the Specialized footbeds a shot. Can't get too a dealership easily but after doing the basic wet foot test it looks like blue will be the best option for me. However there appears to be a BG Footbed and a BG SL footbed. Is there any real difference between the two or is the SL just in newer packaging and gives them an excuse to charge you for the shim pack separately !

Cheers
    No difference. Recently bought a new set and only difference is no shims (don't need them anyway) so thats ok for me. I think they used to retail at £25 with shims and now are £20 without plus £5 extra if you need shims. Confused yet :?
  • englander
    englander Posts: 232
    After basically coming to the conclusion that all footbeds that come with most cycling shoes are pretty pants I took the plunge and bought some yellow Superfeet ones. The difference is phenomenal..night and day…and they are not bank breakers either, they just do the job…no convoluted sales pitch..you just put them in..ride whatever distance and your feet feel like you've been wearing slippers.Cant big them up enough!!

No, you have bigged them up enough there. I use them too and they also work very well for me, but I haven't tried anyone else's feet and shoes with them so I wouldn't go further than saying that they could be worth trying, same as with anything else shoe related.

Good point - I have some blue Specialized footbeds to help get rid of some numbness and it only had a minor effect. I still get some numbness in one of my feet. They aren't a magical cure for everything, but they likely a lot better than standard insoles.
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

Good point - I have some blue Specialized footbeds to help get rid of some numbness and it only had a minor effect. I still get some numbness in one of my feet. They aren't a magical cure for everything, but they likely a lot better than standard insoles.

Well, it's all completely individual, they might be magical at making your foot ache like hell, a mate can't use Spesh ones at all cos of the met button for example. I think generally it can be said that quite a few people seem to get on well with Spesh footbeds though, that's the impression I get anyway.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Does the numbness start from the second toe and progress outwards, or do they all go numb (so the entire forefoot) at the same time?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235

I use Superfeet yellows - and they've done nothing to sort my numb toes. Nor have Spesh BG's. Nor has moving my cleats back 10mm to try and get them behind the ball of the foot. In my case I think it may be having too wide a shoe (Bonts) so going to try a Sidi to see if that helps.

Personal opinions are just that. The may work for you, they may not. Give it a go and see. I wouldn't bother with the shim pack unless you're going to get a professional to look at you pedalling action.
  • Grill
    The only case in which a footbed like this will sort numb toes is if your shoes are a bit too tight (the footbed will support the foot evenly stopping the forefoot from expanding as well as stabilising it so it doesn't slide).

If the numbness starts at the second toe then it means your metatarsals are collapsing which can be fixed with a combination of the appropriate footbed as a metatarsal button (either on or under the footbed).

Those of you that have numbness/pins and needles in all your toes/forefoot area, it's a combination of the following: shoes are too big and/or shoes are too tight (especially over the forefoot).
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    Thanks guys, sounds like for the sake of £20 the old style (with wedges!) have got to be worth a shot

Cheers
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • englander
    englander Posts: 232
    The only case in which a footbed like this will sort numb toes is if your shoes are a bit too tight (the footbed will support the foot evenly stopping the forefoot from expanding as well as stabilising it so it doesn't slide).

If the numbness starts at the second toe then it means your metatarsals are collapsing which can be fixed with a combination of the appropriate footbed as a metatarsal button (either on or under the footbed).

Those of you that have numbness/pins and needles in all your toes/forefoot area, it's a combination of the following: shoes are too big and/or shoes are too tight (especially over the forefoot).

I noticed today that I can really feel it first in the big toe/toe toe initially, then it spreads to the rest of the toes. Are these metatarsal buttons something that one can do at home, or is it a bike fit job?
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • Grill

I noticed today that I can really feel it first in the big toe/toe toe initially, then it spreads to the rest of the toes. Are these metatarsal buttons something that one can do at home, or is it a bike fit job?

Probably best you see a fitter. Since you're in London, I'd head to Pro-feet.