Stem Cap

apprent1ce
apprent1ce Posts: 58
edited August 2015 in Workshop
Sorry, beginner question: how do you remove the stem cap (not sure if this requires allen key or screw driver?) and does the stem cap require a specific torque when reassembling?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Sorry, beginner question: how do you remove the stem cap (not sure if this requires allen key or screw driver?) and does the stem cap require a specific torque when reassembling?

Thanks for any help!

Undo the hex bolt in the middle, keep going until you have the stem cap and the associated bolt off the bike. Its purpose is to preload the headset bearings - you tighten it up with the stem bolts loose until the headset is smooth and free of any wobbles, then tighten the stem bolts to the correct torque.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Those FSA Si stem cap/bung combo's are abit different to normal stem caps.

See this thread
    viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13026006
  • Thanks for the responses, they're appreciated.

I have undone the inner 5mm bolt a few turns but cap still seams firm. Do I need to loosen the stem bolts or should the cap lever out? Or perhaps loosen 5mm bolt more - I didn't want it dropping inside.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Thanks for the responses, they're appreciated.

I have undone the inner 5mm bolt a few turns but cap still seams firm. Do I need to loosen the stem bolts or should the cap lever out? Or perhaps loosen 5mm bolt more - I didn't want it dropping inside.

Yes. You need to loosen the stem bolts first before removing the top cap.

Only loosen the top cap bolt a few turns then it will pull out. If you keep unscewing it, it will come de-attached from its bottom piece and will fall into the steerer. Usually the best way to get it out is turning the bike upside down and shaking it. So try to avoid that. :)

When refitting. Tighten the top cap first to remove any play in the steerer/headset. Then tighten the stem bolts.