High end glasses

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Before I ask this, I know I don't need any and should save my money but that's not the point. Our Ride2Work window is coming up and as I don't need a bike the next logical thing to do is buy some extortionate glasses.

I've always been happy with my Specialized Tarzo Adaptalite glasses as they fit well and I like just wearing them without having to select a suitable lens for the conditions of the day! They were around £70 I think and have served well for five years now. Am I missing out here though and, if so, are Oakleys the place to go?

Assuming you can get a good fit, are more expensive glasses that much better and how much better/worse is it being able to/having to swap lenses?

After a bit of reading the new Radar EV Path Prizm Road look the pick of the Oakley bunch but they do only seem to come in an offensive white/red scheme (I see you can customise them but I'm guessing not at Evans, especially if you want to pricematch them). I guess with them you wouldn't swap the lenses as the Prizm ones are the main selling point?

With all of the above, any tips on glasses for very narrow heads? Guess I'm limited to the choice at Evans.

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Are you buying glasses on a Ride2Work voucher?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Hoping so as glasses must be included as a safety item? Evans say:

The following can all be included on Ride-to-Work. You can select these items with a bike or choose only accessories if you are already commuting by bike.

Bags and racks
    Cycle clothing (must contain some high viz / reflective detail)
    Helmet
    Lights
    Locks
    Mudguards
    Shoes and pedals
    Tools and maintenance (eg, pump, puncture repair kit, multi-tool)
    Tyres
    Any other high-vis items (eg, trouser straps, vests, bag covers)
    (This list is not exhaustive and any cycle accessories which assist with cycling safely may be included)

Sadly they exclude GPS units so the Edge 520 will have to wait!
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Hoping so as glasses must be included as a safety item? Evans say:

The following can all be included on Ride-to-Work. You can select these items with a bike or choose only accessories if you are already commuting by bike.

Bags and racks
    Cycle clothing (must contain some high viz / reflective detail)
    Helmet
    Lights
    Locks
    Mudguards
    Shoes and pedals
    Tools and maintenance (eg, pump, puncture repair kit, multi-tool)
    Tyres
    Any other high-vis items (eg, trouser straps, vests, bag covers)
    (This list is not exhaustive and any cycle accessories which assist with cycling safely may be included)

Sadly they exclude GPS units so the Edge 520 will have to wait!

Surely a GPS computer is a speedometer and hence classed as a safety item???
    Simon
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,881
    Nice find there with regards to ride to work!

I have just taken delivery yesterday of some Radarlock Paths, and very nice they are too.

Many many years ago I always used to look at Oakleys and think it was bonkers to spend £100+ on a pair of glasses, I mean how much better could they be?!

I stuck with cheaper alternatives, including some dhb offerings, which allegedly allowed you to change lenses, but the quality on these was not brilliant, and eventually the frames snapped.

My first pair of Oakleys were somen non prescription monster pups, quickly followed by prescription versions, for driving, and from that point, once I saw the quality of the frame, and the lenses, I was a convert.
    I've now ended up with two pairs of half jackets, (One second hand, and one free from Oakley) a pair of split jackets, second hand off of here, with photochromic lenses, a pair of bottlecaps from what was eyewearoutlet sotore and is now Igero, for £45, and I thought another, but I can't recall it right now.

So anyway, yes they are expensive, but they can be had for a very good price if you shop around, and no I do not think i would pay full price for them, but then if you are able to get them through the cycle to work scheme, you aren't are you!

The ones I took delivery of yesterday came with 2 lenses, and I added a pair of Photochromic lenses, and it came it an under £130 delivered from France.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18

• The ones I took delivery of yesterday came with 2 lenses, and I added a pair of Photochromic lenses, and it came it an under £130 delivered from France.

Yeah, I've been following you lot clearing out mistervelo! Great prices but don't seem to do the new Prizm Road lenses.

Do you swap lenses on yours frequently and how would you compare that to using the ones with photochromic lenses?
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    My question was are you JUST buying glasses or adding a bike and/or other items?

Beware on glasses if you want to save. You may find that they are charged at full RRP rather than any sale price. So you'd be better, frankly, with a 0% credit card.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • My question was are you JUST buying glasses or adding a bike and/or other items?

Beware on glasses if you want to save. You may find that they are charged at full RRP rather than any sale price. So you'd be better, frankly, with a 0% credit card.

Probably get some bib tights as well but no bike (annoyingly my commuter died last month and I had to replace it in a hurry). They've always price matched in the past on the scheme so I don't think that would be an issue. Refusing you to sell the item in the first place as it's not a safety item is more of a concern.
  • daniel_b

The ones I took delivery of yesterday came with 2 lenses, and I added a pair of Photochromic lenses, and it came it an under £130 delivered from France.

Yeah, I've been following you lot clearing out mistervelo! Great prices but don't seem to do the new Prizm Road lenses.

Do you swap lenses on yours frequently and how would you compare that to using the ones with photochromic lenses?

Do you swap lenses on yours frequently and how would you compare that to using the ones with photochromic lenses?[/quote]

My split jackets only came with one pair of photochromic lenses, and they are virtually clear, so can be warn in really low light conditions with no issue.
    I was planning to buy other lenses, but have had no need to as the photochromic lenses are SO good.

I'm not sure what the model number is, but the new ones I blught from MV are G40 Photochromic.
    I will be trying them out for the first time in about 15 minutes!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b

My split jackets only came with one pair of photochromic lenses, and they are virtually clear, so can be warn in really low light conditions with no issue.
    I was planning to buy other lenses, but have had no need to as the photochromic lenses are SO good.

I'm not sure what the model number is, but the new ones I blught from MV are G40 Photochromic.
    I will be trying them out for the first time in about 15 minutes!

My half jackets when I use them I do change lenses now and then, pretty easy it is too.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    First outing tonight on a slow 20, and they are superb.

Popped the G40 Photochromic lenses in, and they darkened fairly well, and enough to deal with some pretty bright sunshine, but not sure how they would fair in the dark, will be interested to see.

The wrap around versus the split jackets was really good, I liken it to looking through a car windscreen, and also looking over my shoulder I was still looking through the lenses.

Totally comfortable, something the monster pups are not, and the grippy stuff on the arms, and more so I think on the nose bridge meant that once in place you do not have to touch them.
    I am in the habit of pushing glasses back up, and went to do so a couple of times, but they had not budged.

A pleasure to ride with, and I'm not sure how much the split jackets will get used now.....

Really pleased with them for the money, I think the G40 photochromic lenses are meant to be something like £140rrp!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18