Advice on replacing spokes myself?

bikerbobbbb
bikerbobbbb Posts: 2
edited August 2015 in The workshop
I have a few broken spokes on my rear wheel. I want to replace these spokes myself. I don't want to take this into a shop. Once I learn how to do this, I can save money in the long run, even if there's an investment in tools now.

I'll also need to true it after that. I got a truing tool a few years ago and have experimented with that.

I carry potentially up to 250 pounds on my bike. That's the limit for the specs on the bike I believe. Over time, spokes wear out. I upgraded the rear wheel becuse of that and the spokes wear out a lot less often.

Wheel model:

Hub model:
Shimano RM30 -- This I found on a specs list for my original bike, listed under rear hub. When I got the wheel replaced, the bike shop must have kept the same hub, I think.
Shimano Rear hub, Fh-2200 36H Silver
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Rear-hub-Fh-2200-Silver/dp/B005LY3Q7O/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1437419380&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=Shimano+FH-2200+tool
This is exactly what I have.

Upgraded rear wheel:
mavic wheel cx 7 22
-- I can't find the exact specs for this online. I found a post saying Mavic doesn't list the spoke tension.

My bike specs in general:
http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2009&brand=Raleigh&model=Detour+4.5
2009 Raleigh Detour 4.5
Original wheel specs...
Wheels HubsFront: Joytech Alloy QR,
Rear: Shimano RM30 RimsWeinmann XM-260, 36-hole
Tires 700 x 35c Kenda K-192 w/K-shield
Spoke BrandStainless, 14ga. (2.0mm) Spoke
NipplesUnspecified

I've watched a few youtube videos. I understand the general process but I'm wondering which tools and parts I need for sure.

General process:
Remove wheel from bike.
Remove inner tube and tire.
Remove wheel rim tape?
Pull the cassette off. One broken spoke is on the cassette side.
??? Which tool do I need with my Shimano Fh-2200? I think it's a free hub, but I got bogged down in whether it's a free wheel, cassette, hub, etc... That tool isn't expensive, but I'd rather get the one I know works for sure. Or maybe I don't need a special tool to remove the cassette? I see FR-1, FR-5... They all kind of look right.
Along with a hub tool to get the cassette off, I'll need a gear wrench, the arm with the bike chain piece to pull on the cassette? Any specific one?

And then replace the spokes, true the wheel, put it back together.... Hope the shifting is about the same. Adjusting the shifting precisely is something else to learn.

How do I know what to get for spokes?

Wheel rim tape -- I need to buy more of that and retape the whole wheel? (And cloth tape because it's double walled I read.)

I have a double walled wheel. Do I need a nipple tool?
http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-373-216-Nipple-Driver/dp/B00F665S5K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438797312&sr=8-1&keywords=nipple+tool+bike

Chain whip? Does it matter which one? Are they specific to the cassette somehow like the hub tool is?
http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Sprocket-Remover-Chain/dp/B003YUJEF0/ref=sr_1_74?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1438797513&sr=1-74&refinements=p_4%3APark+Tool

Spokes? I saw I'll need to figure out the measurements. I've got the broken ones and the rest are still on the wheel. Could I just measure those to avoid lots of calculations?
-- Where do I buy spokes? Can I get spokes exactly the length I want somewhere? Premade/threaded ones?
-- Can I measure the spokes that are on my bike now somewhere to get the diameter?

Spoke thread tool? I think this is what the video mentioned...
http://www.amazon.com/Hozan-Spoke-Threading-Machine-C700/dp/B000C3F5LY/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1438797838&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=spoke+thread+park
This is one of the main reasons I'm asking for advice. I saw a youtube video that said you buy the spoke (generic length I'm assuming, but a specific diameter), cut the spoke, and then have to add the threads on yourself. Fine, except the tool that adds the threads is $140. If that's how it is, that's how it is. Do I need this tool, or can I get spokes that have the correct amount of thread on them already? Is it really an issue if there's too much thread? I just wouldn't wind it that tightly. Possibly, I'm thinking I could buy pre-threaded spokes from someone else. If I'm breaking 2 spokes/year, I could just buy a pack of 10 pre-threaded spokes possibly. But if I have to make them myself, then the sooner I buy this tool, the more I save in the long run.

Spoke/nipple grease?
Would vaseline or oiless bike chain grease work or do I need something special?

Spoke tension measuring tool?
http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Spoke-Tension-Meter/dp/B000OZDIGY/ref=sr_1_42?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1438797394&sr=1-42&refinements=p_4%3APark+Tool
-- Initially I thought I'd find the spoke tension in the wheel specs somewhere and use this to get in the ballpark. Then use the truing tool to make everything more precise.

Dishing gauge? I'm really doubting I'd need this. I'm only missing three spokes.
http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Portable-Wheel-Dishing/dp/B00426GY4Y/ref=sr_1_141?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1438797678&sr=1-141&refinements=p_4%3APark+Tool

If it really becomes too much work or expense, I'm thinking I could always take the bike to a shop. Or, I could just bring the rear wheel in and have them replace spokes and true it. Or, I could buy pre-threaded spokes from someone possibly, and do the rest of the repair myself.

This spoke repair looks potentially doable for me. I can replace a tire, inner tube, shifting and brake cables. I've messed with adjusting the shifting a little but gave up. I'd like to get spokes as another repair skill and then I can finally get the wheel truing down better... which will allow the brakes to be adjusted better.

Any ideas or advice on all this? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    (i'd make your posts a little shorter if you want people to read them and get a response)

you'll need a spoke nipple tool, shimano cassette lockring tool (any brand), chain whip (any), maybe some rim tape if you don't have a removable plastic one.

spoke length - take wheel to your LBS and ask them for the replacement spokes you need.

true the wheel - look at youtube
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It's also worth noting that spokes don't wear out as such, but you will often find that, following a breakage, you get other spokes in the wheel failing shortly thereafter. This is usually symptomatic of a poor initial build; the best way to fix it is to replace all the spokes and rebuild the wheel.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • As a bit of a Clydesdale myself I found the best upgrade I made to a wheel set was to go with 36 spokes at the back.

Going back a few years now, it was a hand built set of Mavic (512?) on Shimano LX hub at the rear and Hope Suspension on the front.

Best wheelset I ever had.

The hope hub got rebuilt into future wheels and I never, repeat never had to service the bearings.
    I had that hub for about 10 years and rode it constantly on and off road.
  • Note the lacing of the other spoke. Easy to get wrong.