Genesis Croix de Fer 20/30 2015

conceptual_primate
conceptual_primate Posts: 81
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Thinking of a winter commuter and general all rounder (some off road, maybe some touring) speicifcally the above models. Looking for some views on these, specifically:

- is the 30 worth the extra cash. online suggests 105 groupset and hydraulic breaks mean yes.
- read mixed messages re: mudguard clearance on the 30 - any experience? what is the max tyre size you can run with mudguards?
- would both frames support front racks if required?

Any other observations are welcome.

Kind regards,
CP

Comments

• stavgold
    stavgold Posts: 61
    I built a croix de fer up with the 2015 bronze frameset with 11sp 105 and hydraulic brakes. Built my own wheels with novatec hubs and archetype rims. Final spec very similar if not better than croix de fer 30. Total build was around £1300 after various discounts.
    I'm running mine at the moment with 38mm compass barlow pass tyres under sks 45mm guards. I had to modify guard slightly to allow front mech swing arm to work correctly. The fit is a little tight and no rubbing but would probably use 32-35mm tyres next time to reduce toe overlap. I've also fitted a tortec rear rack and will fit a nitto m18 front rack in the future like this one. http://smutpedaller.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/the-bar-bag-part-1-let-there-be-light.html

I'm just building another set of tubeless ready wheels which I will fit with cyclocross tyres for some winter fun.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,032
    After much prevarication I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these seeing as a bit of a go anywhere bike as they are available on a decent discount at the moment. Can anyone help on sizing - I'm just under 6'2 - I was going to go for the 58 but a bit of googling some people suggest a 60.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,790
    I'm 6'4" and the 58 fits me fine with a 110mm stem. The 2015 models are a fairly big fitting frame.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Thanks for responding - plunge has been taken - bike is a compromise between what I'd really like and what I want to spend but I'll add my opinion of it on one of the many threads about these kind of bikes at some point.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Frames are the same no?

Hydraulic brakes are for sure worth the money over cable discs.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    I've gone for the 20
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    How are you finding your Croix de Fer, DeVlaeminck? I've been looking/saving all year and picked up a 2015 30 (a 58, I'm 6ft) in the sales this week - not had chance to ride it yet though. It is completely stock so far apart from the fitting of mudguards.

I think one of the reasons I've been deliberating for so long is that it will be something of a departure from my other bikes which have tended to be a much more racey setup. The Croix should be a heck of a lot more comfortable for longer rides, I just hope it doesn't end up feeling too sluggish or upright for me.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Not ridden mine yet either. First impressions from my living room are it's a bit of a weighty beast and I'm glad I didn't go for the bigger size.