New Guy with Rockhopper n wants to upgrade parts

DansRockhopper
DansRockhopper Posts: 3
edited August 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello, All
Got in my head i wanted a bike again so in May i bought a Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2015 29er
Now i'm wanting to upgrade the parts!
Starting with the front shocks but don't have much cule on how about doing it. online guy from Evans Cycles said i can't because my shocks are tapered? Dosn't sound right?
Anyways wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction please
Also like change the wheels and Chainset.
Guess should of got better bike from the start!!

Thanks
Dan

Frame: Specialized A1 SL Aluminium, 29er geometry, fully butted tubesets, ORE downtube, tapered headtube, forged dropouts w/ disc mount, replaceable derailleur hangere bike

Fork: Custom SR Suntour XCR 29, with custom Multi-Circuit Damping , mag lowers , coil / MCU spring , Hi-Ten 30mm stanchions , tapered steerer, hydraulic lockout with preload adjust , disc mount , size-specific 80 / 100mm travel

Headset: 1-1/8" upper, 1-1/2" lower, Campy style, integrated sealed cartridge bearings

Shifters: Shimano Acera Rapidfire Plus, 2×9, w/ optical display

Front Derailleur: SRAM X5, 2×10, high mount

Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio Shadow, 9-speed, SGS cage

Bottom Bracket: Square taper, cartridge bearings

Chainset: Stout, forged alloy, 2×9, square taper spindle, anti-corrosion hardware

Cassette: Sunrace, 9-speed, 11-36t

Rims: Stout XC, 29" disc, alloy double-wall, pin joint, 26mm inner width, 28/32h

Front Hub: Specialized Hi Lo disc, alloy, RCC bearing system, QR, 28h

Rear Hub: Specialized Hi Lo disc, alloy, RCC bearing system, QR, 32h

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Welcome.

A tapered steerer won't stop you upgrading the forks, especially if the headset specs are right. Most new forks now are tapered.

I find upgrading is like a bug, always something I fancy changing. You probably could of bought a better bike for the same money or even less to start with but that's a mute point now.

Best place to start is with what the current parts aren't doing for you and what your budget is.
  • Welcome.

A tapered steerer won't stop you upgrading the forks, especially if the headset specs are right. Most new forks now are tapered.

I find upgrading is like a bug, always something I fancy changing. You probably could have bought a better bike for the same money or even less to start with but that's a mute point now.

Best place to start is with what the current parts aren't doing for you and what your budget is.

Thanks for reply!
    Must admit think i could catch this upgrading bug very easily.
    I am abit peeved off how much i got rockhopper for and what else is for offer. Done now :P
    Any views on what shocks i should go for ? i was looking at Rockshox gold?
    At moment anythink with stout on it i like to change because looks bit Cheap quality.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Recon gold (now XC32) is a good sensible budget option, but the Suntour Epicon is better and can be found cheaper (try ebay).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.