VIDEO: BB30 Sound on harder gears

islwyn
islwyn Posts: 650
edited August 2015 in Workshop
Hello,

I'm currently suffering with a BB30 problem I think, when I'm grinding in a harder gear there's a sound created that's very loud - If I'm cycling in a bigger ring in the cassette the noise is less.

However if I'm In a hard here and I push the rear mech to loosen the chain, the sound also gets quieter.

I have a video here. https://youtu.be/wZgPRSdFPX0

I attempted to take the crank arm off however it wasn't budging easily it's the first time I've touched Bb30 and wasn't sure how much oomph you can give it? Hollowtech' are so much simpler!

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Are you sure the chain isn't rubbing on the FD ? or the upper jockey wheel on the rear derailleur isn't hitting the cog the cassette ?

If it isn't any of those. You'll need to remove the cranks and inspect the BB30 bearings for roughness.

If they are shot and do need replacing. You can replace them yourself its not that hard. BB30 bearings are '6806 2RS' 42x30x7mm bearings and can be bought cheap on ebay.

The hardest part is removing them from the frame which will require a BB30 removal tool like this http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fsa/bb30-bearing-removal-tool-ec019130?country=GB&currency=GBP&esvt=1200-GOUKE253588&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-37752-1&esvcrea=61233931016&esvplace=&esvd=c&esvaid=50080&gclid=CLXsy9nBlMcCFcPKtAodXLAEwg
    and a drift tube of some sort and a soft hammer.

When Installing new ones. You will need a BB30 press tool. They are very simple to make with a threaded bar ,washers and nuts. i am selling some for £5 posted.
    This
    9999648594_bd9a299c3e_z.jpg
    I attempted to take the crank arm off however it wasn't budging easily it's the first time I've touched Bb30 and wasn't sure how much oomph you can give it? Hollowtech' are so much simpler!

If you already have a 10mm hex key. Thats all you need. Just keep unscrewing the left crank arm bolt. You will feel some resistance because its a self extracting bolt. Keep unscrewing and the left crank will come off.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Don't think that's the bearing. Knackered bearing sounds a but like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYCzIN4epwE

To remove the SLK crank you simply unscrew the NDS arm and it should fall off. Then tap the crank out with a rubber hammer. Once you have the crank off get a feel for the bearing by spinning it with your fingers. You can inspect the bearings inside the frame by using a needle to remove the dust cover. With the cover off stick some grease in replace the cover and put everything back together. I have found that you can get some weird creaks if the SLK cranks isn't tightened to the correct torque which you wont be able to do with an allen key.

If you do need to remove the bearings the best tools for removing and installing are the Ice tools puller and a proper headset/bearing press (I have the cyclus headset press). You will need the FSA BB30 adaptors for the press. It may seem expensive to buy all these tools but they pay for themselves after you have replaced the bearings twice.

Not had a single problem with the BB30 on my Tarmac in 1600 miles. (waits for creaking on next ride)

I have tried to use a tool similar to the £5 one being offered and found it a waste of money.
  • Trailflow, if you use that made up press as you have it configured it will press on the inner part of the bearing and damage it.
    You need to have the outside shell of the bearing as the place you push on to install it.

Please don't sell this to any poor unsuspecting soul to destroy theirs as well.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Trailflow, if you use that made up press as you have it configured it will press on the inner part of the bearing and damage it.
    You need to have the outside shell of the bearing as the place you push on to install it.

Please don't sell this to any poor unsuspecting soul to destroy theirs as well.

OK just inspected my tool against some bearings and you know what you are correct, it is just short of diameter. Its not a huge problem though as all you need to do is use an aluminium BB30 bearing shield (which you should have 2 of) and reverse it then slide in onto the press. That will give you the correct diameter for the press and will cover of the outside shell properly.