Chris Froome: why does he have to be a cheat?

James Kent
James Kent Posts: 2
edited August 2015 in Pro race
Hi all,

It's strikes me that the witch hunt over Chris Froome has become a bit extreme. I know there is talk of him missing a drug test, but on the other hand it seems people want to knock him just because he is that good. People want to prove that he is a cheat simply so there is justification behind his performance and winning the Tour de France twice!

The reality is though he has worked hard and deserves his success. I think this discussion crosses over to other sports as well and being good is not a reason to doubt. Just like the gender cases where people are doubted because they are good.

Anyway, here is a little piece I did on the subject - hope you like it :D

You may not advertise another website

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I didn't like it much, poorly written, superficial and you need to check your spelling. As an aside though I disagree with your contention that the issue of whether Froome is doping bears any relation to the issue of gender in athletics.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Hi all,

It's strikes me that the witch hunt over Chris Froome has become a bit extreme. I know there is talk of him missing a drug test, but on the other hand it seems people want to knock him just because he is that good. People want to prove that he is a cheat simply so there is justification behind his performance and winning the Tour de France twice!

The reality is though he has worked hard and deserves his success. I think this discussion crosses over to other sports as well and being good is not a reason to doubt. Just like the gender cases where people are doubted because they are good.

Anyway, here is a little piece I did on the subject - hope you like it :D

Anyone know a sub editor?
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I didn't like it much, poorly written, superficial and you need to check your spelling. As an aside though I disagree with your contention that the issue of whether Froome is doping bears any relation to the issue of gender in athletics.

I don't want to blunt your enthusiasm James but DeVlaeminck is right. If you are serious about blogging you need to work harder on your copy.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    edited August 2015
    Yes, sorry. There is so much media content nowadays you need an angle to get noticed, also your first post is a pimp, rather than engaging in the forum.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited August 2015
    Did we or did we not have a Sky/Froome thread during Tour De France?

I can't remember.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I read it and my opinion is that if a 14 year old wrote that and submitted it at school as a piece of work then they wouldn't get very good marks at all, it basically says nothing, there's no meat to it at all.

Now, seeing as this is the OP's first post, and with the above opinion, I assume this is just setup as a joke anyway.

Here is the WHOLE article for people, to save them clicking the link for it and potentially getting the guy some $s for writing this...
    It’s amazing to me how much doubt there is on Chris Froome all of a sudden after news emerged that he missed a drug test. Clearly, performing enhancing drugs allows a competitor to gain an advantage over an opponent that isn’t doping.

There has been a lot of interesting stories about Froome and how he may have a unique profile that enables him to get the sort of performance levels he has been seeing lately. The performance level that has seen him all but certainly secured the Tour de France title for a second time.

There is no doubt in my mind that Chris Froome is an exceptional cyclist and we have known that for a number of years now. Obviously, I don’t know any more than anyone else if he is cheating in one way or another or not. But a lot of people in the know seem to suggest that he probably isn’t and Frome’s defiance doesn’t strike me as someone with something to hide.

Irrespective of whether he is a drug cheat or not, the bit that annoys me is the reason why we think he is. Now clearly the fact that he admits to missing a drug test plays some part in this suspicion – but the main thing seems to be that he is good. It’s just this idea that it’s impossible for him to be this good without cheating.

The bottom line is we only see the performance at the end from him and wonder how he gets those sort of results. However, what we don’t see is the work he has put in to get to this point, and what he does in training to prepare.

Personally, I’m a big believer in hard work and I’d like to believe that what we are seeing is the results of hard work, not some kind of performance cheating. Being a fitness nut myself, I can certainly understand how hard it is and what he has had to put his body through. So, my main message here is let’s not assume that Chris Froome or anyone is a cheat, just because they are good!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    This thread wont last long. Breaching the rules.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Yup - if you're going to spam us with your blog, at least make sure it's good :D
This discussion has been closed.