Why Upgrade

stuffyramirez
stuffyramirez Posts: 12
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Morning all,

I find myself in a bit of a conundrum. I recently received a bonus from work which I have decided to set aside for a new bike. I currently ride a Cinelli Experience with Campagnolo Veloce groupset (50/34). The frame is aluminium with carbon forks and ally/carbon handle bars. I have also upgraded the wheels to campagnolo Zondas.

I recently weighed the bike in at 8.8kg.

My question is why do I need a new bike??? (I know I don't NEEED a bike, before someone says you don't need a bike you need food etc.....) I don't think I am tuned in enough to recognise flex in the frame etc.

Will I feel the benefits of moving from an entry level bike to a full CF? what are the benefits?

I struggle on hills, have short legs and long torso. Bike measurement has suggested that a sporty type bike may suit me better that a comfort type frame.

I have been to my local bike shop and they have offered to build me a new bike using the Kuota Kryon frame & forks, with Deda bars and stem. Groupset will be Campagnolo Athena 11 speed reusing my Zondas. price is £1635 (could go with Kuota Kobalt frame instead at total price if £1460).

Alternative is to go Giant or Focus Cayo with Shimano Ultegra - been told to hold off until next week when new catalogues and prices are due in. Suggestion is Shimano will come in cheaper that Campagnolo and as such the Shimano options will be full bikes (i.e. wheels included whereas not included in Kuota option) will be circa £1500.

Does the price difference between the Cayo/ Focus and the Kuota suggest that the Kuota is a bette frame??

So in short my question is - why upgrade my bike, is there a significant benefit to be had from going full carbon with better groupset over what I have??

I appreciate that the answers are somewhat subjective, thought I would throw it out there and see what people think.

Essentially I have circa £1500 - £1800 budget and I would preferably have Campagnolo groupsets.

I don't race, like casual rides and sometimes commute

Thanks

Nick

Comments

• You could upgrade the frame and keep the components, you don't have to swap the entire bike.

If you want something good then the likes of a Canyon CF SL frame will be about £900.

Benefits or otherwise of carbon? Well documented with many arguments either way, google will bring lots of results ;)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    If the current bike is comfortable and you enjoy the ride, the answer is no, very little if anything to gain.

There are plenty of other things I would purchase first (depending on your goals).

Workstand and tools
    Computer
    Power meter
    Better clothing
    Winter kit
    etc.
  • If the current bike is comfortable and you enjoy the ride, the answer is no, very little if anything to gain.

If there is little gain why do people upgrade? is it purely vanity??

I have tools, summer and winter wear

don't want computer etc

Thanks
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Gains are marginal and will depend on your terrain.
    e.g. If you ride a hilly terrain, lighter can have some benefits..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DRQwKREgvI

A new bike may also be nicer to ride; there are other tangible benefits beyond speed.
    It is up to you to decide if gaining a few seconds here or there is worth it, along with those other smaller things, nicer shifting, sharper ride etc.

But largely, we like shiny things. :D
  • Also, what are your opinions on the bikes suggested?

Focus Cayo - Shimano Ultegra Circa £1500
    Giant Defy - Shimano Ultegra circa £1500
    Kuota Kobalt - Campagnolo Athena (no wheels) £1460
    Kuota Kryon - Campagnolo Athena (No wheels) £1635

I haven't heard much on any of them especially the Kuota although all seem to have good reviews. The LBS where I had my fitting are not pushing me into buying with them but they have a very good reputation

Thanks again

Nick
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I personally would choose the Cayo with Ultegra if in your position. I have nothin against the Kuota, I just dont like the look of them so its purely a cosmetic thing. I have ridden a Cayo (2013/14 bike with 5700 groupset) and loved it, it was very comfortable and felt light and nimble (I have no idea what weight it actually was)
  • I personally would choose the Cayo with Ultegra if in your position. I have nothin against the Kuota, I just dont like the look of them so its purely a cosmetic thing. I have ridden a Cayo (2013/14 bike with 5700 groupset) and loved it, it was very comfortable and felt light and nimble (I have no idea what weight it actually was)

Thanks Mugen. I prefer the look of the Kuota and my preference is Campagnolo - I have never used Shimano. If the choice was aesthetics Im tempted with the Kuota, however if there is a significant difference in performance etc I am open to suggestions.

I wonder if the Kuota frame proposed is much better because of the increase in price??? a full bike with Shimano for £1500(ish) or a bike minus wheels (built to my spec) for £1685??
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Will yor LBS let you take the bikes for a decent test ride? That should answer your questions as to whether or not it is worth it. Your opinion is the only one that really counts here.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You dont seem convinced that you need an upgrade - so put the money aside for a time when you will. And it will come one day.

Or splash the cash and take the bike to the Alps. Awesome riding.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Your bike at 8.8kg is light. You have carbon forks which will help take the sting out of road buzz. You have campy veloce which in my mind's eye is where the good stuff starts (just as 105 does with Shimano). Your bike is comfortable. You have decent upgraded wheels. Logic dictates at the moment you are wanting for nothing. A decent bike fit may be helpful but sounds like you are comfortable with the current set up.

What difference would an upgrade make? Performance wise I suspect very little, other than psychological - new bike must be faster syndrome I think drives people on a bit when they get new bikes. Which brings me round to why upgrade - practical side would be if your bike is damaged or if several components are worn out. May be more economical to just replace everything. Other aspects are more to do with motivation and interest - many people change bikes because they like the new model or the new electronic groupset/ carbon wheels; others because detail design is a bit of an obsession, etc, etc. Very little to do with improved performance but if it helps maintain people's interest in getting out and exercising, then where's the harm? At the end of the day, when you come across a couple of stinkers of hills, their impact is usually the same!

Peter
  • If you're aching to splash the cash, take your bike to Mallorca for a week?
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I'll be kilo lighter than your current bike, which you'll notice immediately and then only occasionally afterwards. If you prefer Campag then just stop looking at the Shimano bikes, complete or not you won't like them as much.
  • If you genuinely want to feel what an upgrade will give you then buy a bike than has disc brakes. Being able to stop better allows you to carry more speed into corners (providing you have the nerve) and consequently have to accelerate less coming out of corners. This was proved by Jaguar in the 1950's when they introduced disc brakes to their Le Mans cars. Otherwise spending more on a new bike is just because you want to and it will have hardly any real effect. I currently have 5 bikes, 3 with discs and 2 with rim brakes and guess which ones get ridden the most.
  • Or splash the cash and take the bike to the Alps. Awesome riding.

Go somewhere different from where you normally ride. Maybe not the Alps, although personally I have no experience or reason to say not the Alps. Just use the cash, indulge yourself a little and go somewhere different from where you normally ride...savour the experience.
  • I have decided to go with the Kuota Kryon.

The fact that it is built to suit my unusual body is a major plus

in regards to ' do I need a new bike'? the answer is no, but I want one and can afford it :)

Thanks for your help!!!

Nick
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    If you genuinely want to feel what an upgrade will give you then buy a bike than has disc brakes. Being able to stop better allows you to carry more speed into corners (providing you have the nerve) and consequently have to accelerate less coming out of corners. This was proved by Jaguar in the 1950's when they introduced disc brakes to their Le Mans cars. Otherwise spending more on a new bike is just because you want to and it will have hardly any real effect. I currently have 5 bikes, 3 with discs and 2 with rim brakes and guess which ones get ridden the most.

The jury is out for me, disc vs rims...

I wanted to believe that discs were the future and even bought a carbon cross bike with discs to ride as a winter bike, but actually there is nothing really wrong with rim brakes as long as they are good quality.

I recently had my bike stolen and was in the market for a new bike. I toyed with the idea of Di2 as well as hydraulic disc brakes, but decided on a traditional cable bike... and cost wasn't a factor at all.

@OP, the Kuota Kryon looks like a lovely bike :)
    Simon
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    If you genuinely want to feel what an upgrade will give you then buy a bike than has disc brakes. Being able to stop better allows you to carry more speed into corners (providing you have the nerve) and consequently have to accelerate less coming out of corners. This was proved by Jaguar in the 1950's when they introduced disc brakes to their Le Mans cars. Otherwise spending more on a new bike is just because you want to and it will have hardly any real effect. I currently have 5 bikes, 3 with discs and 2 with rim brakes and guess which ones get ridden the most.

I don't think this argument of carrying more speed into a corner or accelerating less coming out stands up. Disc brakes may allow you to brake later and therefore reach the corner sooner but once into a given the corner there is a maximum speed you can go round that corner that is ultimately dictated by grip. You are always going to have to accelerate by the same amount coming out of that corner.