Keeping Tubs Sweet!!!

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited August 2015 in Workshop
Just purchased (used) a pair of Planet X CT45 Tubulars, Fitted with Vittoria Corsa EVO CX Tubular Tyres.

This is the first time I ve ever ran anything but clinchers so some general pointers would be nice.

Firstly the seller said the Tubs had been fitted with tub tape and has given me a spare role.

I ve fully inflated the tubs and tried to roll them off the rim, they seem secure but I ve only had a quick blast up the road.

Should I dismount them and re-fit with Tub Glue?

What do I now need to carry on a ride. I don't think these have any sealant fitted!
Could I just get away with a can of this http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Vittoria/Pit-Stop-Puncture-Repair-75ml/89L?gclid=CPngg_H_w8ICFW3ItAodXBoAwg

Or should I go whole hog of Spare Tub and Co2 and add sealant to the fitted tubs.

I take it if I do glue them on, if one goes on a ride the residual glue on the rim will be enough to get me home if I fit another tub?

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Leave them on tape and decide next time when tyres need replacing... I prefer glueing but its personal choice.
    Can of Vittoria Pitstop and or spare lightweight tub... depends on what you are riding... races or longer unsupported rides.
    I hit a pothole on a last lap 3 miles from HQ in a race... apart from fuming as I was in the break it was also scary but the tyre stayed on... the pitstop needed 10 minutes to work as it was one hell of a puncture at major speed on a downhill section... but at least I could ride back to HQ... which is the main point of fixing stuff at the roadside.
    I wouldnt put in sealant.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I carry a folded up cheap Tufo pre-glued spare tub. That and the residual glue on the rim create a bond strong enough to keep the tub on the rim even with hard cornering. Once home, deflate, pull the spare off the rim and stick a new tub on or the repaired one.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • tim_wand
    I carry a folded up cheap Tufo pre-glued spare tub. That and the residual glue on the rim create a bond strong enough to keep the tub on the rim even with hard cornering. Once home, deflate, pull the spare off the rim and stick a new tub on or the repaired one.

Excuse my inexperience. How do you pre-glue a Tub? and then store it successfully? Would you just glue as if you were going to fit it as normal, after its been prestretched? allow the glue to go off and then fold it in such a way that there was minimal contact between the glued sides.

Could I not do the same with the spare tape but leave the backing on one side until I needed it?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,173
    with the spare tufo approach, you glue the basetape and leave it to dry for a day or so, then fold tape to tape (yes, glue to glue, trust me on this one) and secure with a rubber band, i put mine in a ziploc bag to keep water/sweat off - reglue every year or so

when the times come to use it, you remove the flat tub, the glue on the rim and on the tufo tub will have enough residual tack to give a bond good enough to ride on, best to avoid heroic braking/cornering though

the light tufo tubs are pretty skinny, so you need a bit of oomph to get the pressure up high enough, not all minipumps can manage it

not used tape, so can't say whether you can do the same kind of thing

for fixing smaller punctures (veloflex tubs), i find tufo extreme is much better than pitstop, about a quarter of the little bottle is enough, but large enough cuts will leave you needing to fit a spare

glued, folded tufo on the left, conti inner tube on the right

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • tim_wand
    Cheers that's really helpful. I ve purchased some pit stop for small cuts and will carry a spare pre glued tub for when that isn't enough.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Cheers that's really helpful. I ve purchased some pit stop for small cuts and will carry a spare pre glued tub for when that isn't enough.

It was Sungod who I got the idea from a year or so ago. In that time I've had 2 total failures of front tubs (Veloflex Extremes) through hitting submerged potholes and in a crash. The pre-glued Tufo went on and off both times and is still used as an emergency spare.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I ride tubulars and NEVER ride without a spare. Relying on any of the various "stop leak" stuff to fix ALL your flats is foolish. Sooner or later you'll have a flat that can't be fixed by squirt tire goo. Also you don't have to pre-glue your spare in order for it to get you home. Just corner easily and keep it slow going downhill and you'll be fine.