Racing 3 or Quattro

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking to upgrade my pro lite Luciano's and wonder if anyone has any reviews on the Fulcrum racing 3 or quattro's.

Comments

• dean7879
    dean7879 Posts: 127
    Looking to upgrade my pro lite Luciano's and wonder if anyone has any reviews on the Fulcrum racing 3 or quattro's.

the 3's should be better but you could save a little more and buy the zeros. Cracking set of wheels
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Campag Zondas
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Campag Zondas

aka. Fulcrum 3s with Campag stickers and a different rear lacing pattern.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    From a slightly different angle... having tweaked both, the quattro have a rather traditional construction and it's easy to work with them (rebuilds, spoke replacement etc...). Conversely, the 3 are an absolute PITA and I would not buy them for that reason and that reason only.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Campag Zondas

aka. Fulcrum 3s with Campag stickers and a different rear lacing pattern.

And about 100 pounds cheaper.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I like my Quattros so far ... but then not ridden with 3's so can't compare - but at least quattros are somewhat cheaper.
  • dov2711
    dov2711 Posts: 131
    I have owned and worn out both sets of wheels over the years and would firmly agree with the advice suggesting Campagnolo Zondas. Been riding them for a few weeks as a replacement for American classics and rate them as every bit as good as the fulcrum 3.

I still ride the fulcrum quattro as a cyclocross wheel and can't see a time when I would not use them as my go to wheel.

Function and costs should decide for you but that's not always how we all know that is not how it works.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I replaced my Quattros with Zondas (same as Fulcrum 3's) and to be honest the difference is hard to tell. The quattro's were marginally stiffer (due to the deeper section rims) but both rolled the same as far as I am concerned. The zondas probably are a little better on hills/climbs but its difficult to detect and my strava times are showing no discernable diference in average or maximum speeds. I loved the quattros and only went for the Zondas after seeing them on a friends bike and loving the 3G lacing pattern on the rear. I would happily (and probably will) buy Quattros again in the future. I put approx 5000kms on mine and they never needed any attention/truing in that time and the brake surfaces were showing very little signs of wear.
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Another +1 for zondas. I hit a cat at 40mph breaking my collarbone and assorted grazes. The front wheel is still as true as it was when it came out of the box. At 1550 gms they are pretty light, a couple of hundred grammes lighter than the quattro and scirocco. The hubs are very smooth.

Light, cheap(ish) strong - what's not to like?
  • Another +1 for zondas. I hit a cat at 40mph breaking my collarbone and assorted grazes.

How was the cat? :cry:

(I have Racing 3's and rate them so far, white hub is a bad idea though)
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    I owned a pair of R3's and they were excellent wheels... Used them as my main wheels for three years until the rims wore out and they were as true when I retired them as when I bought them... no mean feat when they were abused and at times I was close to 100kg.

But I would agree, these are disposable wheels that can't really be worked on. The Zondas look pretty much exactly the same but £100 less.

I have a pair of hand-builts on my winter bike and TBH I'm not sure why I bothered. They were more expensive and no lighter than factory wheels, and when they need replacing it is unlikely that they will go to a wheel builder due to the hassle.

I guess this is different if you can work on them yourself or you know someone local.
    Simon