Bike under £800

smmjrr
smmjrr Posts: 45
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi new to cycling done a little research just not sure what to purchase, thought about a new bike or hardly used second hand would new be better? saw 5 that fit what I am looking for 3 new 2 used , just looking for advice on which of these would be best and taking into account the price as well, as I think the most expensive one has best spec but it is nearly double price of lightly used one,many thanks for any input, any other suggestions welcome for a great starter bike, been fitted so know size of bike I require

New Giant Defy 0 Ltd new £800

2014 Specialized Allez Elite Tiagra used less than 50 miles probably £450

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2013.giant.defy.composite.3.white.black.blue/11832/56800 used twice is a carbon frame, £650

Specialized Allez Sport 2015 new £600

Specialized Allez Elite 2015 new £720

Comments

• crannman
    crannman Posts: 99
    got a giant defy 2 great bike £750
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Have a look in the sales which are starting now. Think about the gearing on the bikes, some are more for faster fitter riders and would not suit a beginner. Tiagra or higher will work well giving a good range of gears. Also you may need to upgrade the brakes as some have poor generic brakes, 105 or similar brakes would be fine.

Appart from that choose one you like the look of and fits you well.
  • smmjrr
    Thanks for replies anyone else help out a newbie? many thanks
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    If the 10sp 2013 Defy Comp 3 has genuinely only been used twice and has not been crashed and fits you, I would consider it. If the 50/34T x 11-28T is not a low enough gear for you, you could swop it for a CS-4600 12-30T and stick some quality 25mm tyres on while you are at it.

The Aluxx SL Defy 0 and the Defy Comp 3 both have endurance geometry, wereas the Allez bikes are competive geometry.

Same for the 10sp 2014 Allez Elite, if has genuinely only 50mls on the clock and has not been crashed and fits you, I would consider it. If the 50/34T x 12-28T is not a low enough gear for you, you could swop it for a CS-4600 12-30T.

If you want the Ultegra 11sp STI's and RD and 50/34T X 11-32T gearing of the Defy 0, I don't think you would be disappointed. As Kajjal says buy the one that fits you the best and that you prefer the look.
  • Genesis Volare 10 available for £499 from Wheelies. Steel framed with a Tiagra groupset and decent wheels. Nice starter bike, and loads of room in your budget to buy accessories, or even upgrade to 105 or new wheels.
  • isb79
    isb79 Posts: 2
    I'm another newbie, been pottering around on a MTB occasionally for a few years but recently bought my first road bike.

I went the second hand route after doing endless hours of research..

I also play golf so I know that, if you look in the right places, you can get good value for second hand kit especially just starting out. I bought through the local cycling club who had someone give up cycling rapidly so got a nearly new Trek 1.5 for £250. I know this is an entry level bike but it's pretty light, nice to ride, will get me started and also I'm not afraid taking it apart to learn how to maintain and fix it etc as I would be messing around, not really knowing what I'm doing, with a more expensive bike. I was amazed how many decent bikes were around on ebay, gumtree etc although the usual "buyer beware" warning does apply

Pretty certain that I'll upgrade at some point but doing it this way to start also meant I wasn't struggling to justify buying the other kit (pedals, shoes, clothes etc) that you need.

Good luck anyway, I'm absolutely loving it and wish it hadn't taken me so long to take the plunge!
  • Specialized Allez Elite with Tiagra s/h looks good if only 50 miles!

I wouldn't look at upgrading anything on it initially until you've established you're hooked and then brakes/wheels.
  • smmjrr
    Thanks for input Steve