Expected life of a pair of shorts?

Escher303
Escher303 Posts: 342
edited August 2015 in MTB buying advice
I don't know if I am expecting too much but I've had two pairs of Endura shorts and they haven't lasted very well.

It began with a small tear where the cordura seat is sewn onto the rest of the shorts but rather than the stitching failing (which could be repaired) it eventually tears the whole cordura area including where it was stitched. Which means they are impossible to repair and have had to be binned. The first pair managed 10-15 or so rides, the second I bought in march and I have been out up to 3 times a month, sometimes less.

I am expecting too much? How long would you expect a pair to last? Does anyone have recommendations for more robust baggies?

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Altura baggies have done nearly 5 years averaging about 1 ride (20-30 miles) a week, I have cheap Polaris shorts (circa £7-8 a pair) I've used for over a year commuting near enough daily (so probably about 1500 miles) and before that I had some cheap Fila cotton shorts (from a charity shop) that did about 4000 miles between 2 pairs. On that basis the durability of your Endura is rubbish!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I've got an old pair of endura humvee shorts that I wear far too much. I'm wearing them now at work. Had them for about 5 years and they're not showing much sign of wear except a scuff on the knee from the slab at Dalby two years ago. Recently bought a new pair of endua singletrack shorts and done about 500 miles and they're not showing any signs of wear yet.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Got one pair of Endura Singletrack shorts that have just started coming apart at the seams after more than five years of wear and abuse. Seems good value and hard wearing to me.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I've had a pair of Humvees for about a year and they still look like new. On average I'd guess they get ridden about 3 times a week. I did pop the button at the front off at some point (easy fix) but apart from that they seem very well made (as are the Endura glovers I have). I'm going to buy another pair so that I'm not wearing the same ones over and over.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    I've got a pair of Endura Humvees I've had for about 3 years. Pretty faded but intact (I ride every weekend all year round), but are so stiff after washing I reckon they could ride the bike themselves!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have a pair of Raceface shorts that are about 10 years old - worn in but not out. My go to shorts for the last four years has been a pair of Fox Sergeant - just worn thin enough to tear the seat sadly and on checking out the new ones they aren't as good. I have a couple of pairs of Dakine shorts (not sure of the name) which are tough material and well put together - 2 summers in on one pair and I can see them going the distance too.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.