Sram yaw front deraileur

seanorawe
seanorawe Posts: 950
edited August 2015 in Workshop
I recently purchased a PX London road with Sram Rival 22 groupset. Whenever im shifting from the small ring to big ring, the chain comes off. So, ive read some guides and they all offer advice from an installation of the yaw view point, but im struggling to see anything that eases my reluctance to tinker with this yaw setup. So basically im afraid to touch it :oops:

I rang planet x to ask if they knew which limit screw was high, and he advised to not touch the limit screws but give the barrel adjuster a half turn clockwise?

So, can anyone offer a dummy guide to this derailleur? Does anyone happen to know what limit screw is high? Or is PX's advice sound?
Cube Attain SL Disc
Giant CRS 2.0

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Push the lever all the way across to change to the big ring, hold it there and watch the cage as you release the lever. If the cage moves back in then the cable tension is too low, SRAM front mechs need a lot of tension and it's easy to wind out the limit screw too far whilst trying to get the mech to stay further out. This ends up with the chain dropping off when you change up.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    if you're phoning people up to see which limit screw is which it sounds like you don't have much of a mechanical brain, you can tell this just by looking at it. Based on this I would either look at videos such as the above and take it all in or ask a friend who knows bikes to set it up for you.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Nearest the seat tube is L, furthest away H. Set it up just the same as a normal SRAM front deraiileur. What matters is you get the angle of it against the big chainring right for the Yaw to have any effect. Once you've got it set up for the small chainring, attach the cable with plenty of tension and make micro adjustments as necessary. If the chain is dropping off the outside, turn the H limit screw clockwise 1/2 turns at a time until it doesn't. You'll have to change to the small ring for the adjustment to take effect before trying to change back up to the big ring. Make sure it changes from every extreme of the rear cassette too.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    I followed that you tube video last night, it took the guy on the video ten minutes, and it took me over an hour. The chain no longer pops off but getting a slight rub form the chain on the front mech, but at least I now know how to adjust this.

On the video he takes out the cable and pulls it tight then pops it back in to get more tension on it. Can I just use the barrel adjuster for the same effect?
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I followed that you tube video last night, it took the guy on the video ten minutes, and it took me over an hour. The chain no longer pops off but getting a slight rub form the chain on the front mech, but at least I now know how to adjust this.

On the video he takes out the cable and pulls it tight then pops it back in to get more tension on it. Can I just use the barrel adjuster for the same effect?
    Yes if you can get enough tension into it.