2016 Bikes

fabrizzio
fabrizzio Posts: 4
edited August 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys im planning on buying a mountain bike, not enduro and many of the brands havent announced their 2016 models, which bike do you think will be the best i could get with a budget of around 3000 dls, Ive seen the specialized stumjumper for 2900 dls, it look pretty nice.

edit: Looking for a 27.5

Kind regards

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What's a dls?

Links help, especially as it sounds like you are not in the UK.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    dls=dollars? if so US, Canadian, Zimbabwean or some other Dollar?

What usage and what experience do you have?

Why 27.5?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I forgot to specify, by dls i mean American dollars, Ive been going 1-2 times a week for the last couple of years, Im using the bike for some uphill and downhill thats why I want the 27.5, 29ers are too big for the steep turns in some of the downhills where I normally go. I went to a store where they had specialized and the guy there recommend me the new Specialized Stumpjumper FSR comp for my budget that it is around 3000. I do need a full susp.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why 27.5 instead of 26?

This is a UK based website so we don't really know the US market, hopefully Paul Skibum will be along in a bit as he's based over your northern border in Whistler so knows the market a bit better.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I can climb easier with a 27.5, and still have some of the benefits of the 26
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    650b's are barely 4% bigger than 26", once you take in consideration the difference in profile of different makes of tyre sometimes that results in something that gets closer to 1%.

So don't get hung-up on the hype.

My custom built 24" wheeled MTB from 1985, and my 26" custom build from the same year, which I still have both of, seem to get uphill about the same. I can't honestly tell the difference, perhaps a stopwatch might.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    650b's are barely 4% bigger than 26", once you take in consideration the difference in profile of different makes of tyre sometimes that results in something that gets closer to 1%.

Blah blah blah - as the OP has only mentioned 27.5 and 29 he clearly lives in the real world where 26 inch wheel trail 2016 bikes are like unicorns. He's not going to find a high end branded xc/trail type bike with 26 inch wheels so why even suggest it?

I am based in Canada - I have no idea about the pricing of american bikes and since the canadian dollar is at an all time low against the US a bike here is about 30% more than in the US!

However, depending on the model and spec of the Stumpy I would say that would seem ideal. However, if that fits your riding it sits in a pretty huge spectrum of bikes.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    robertpb[/url]"]650b's are barely 4% bigger than 26", once you take in consideration the difference in profile of different makes of tyre sometimes that results in something that gets closer to 1%.

Blah blah blah - as the OP has only mentioned 27.5 and 29 he clearly lives in the real world where 26 inch wheel trail 2016 bikes are like unicorns. He's not going to find a high end branded xc/trail type bike with 26 inch wheels so why even suggest it?

I am based in Canada - I have no idea about the pricing of american bikes and since the canadian dollar is at an all time low against the US a bike here is about 30% more than in the US!

However, depending on the model and spec of the Stumpy I would say that would seem ideal. However, if that fits your riding it sits in a pretty huge spectrum of bikes.

Clearly didn't read my post, I did not tell the OP to buy a 26". it was just a general comment on the perceptions of wheel sizes.

As someone who's ridden 24" 26" and 650b back in the 80's I'm not stuck on wheel sizes, and have a completely open mind on all of them.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Clearly didn't read my post, I did not tell the OP to buy a 26". it was just a general comment on the perceptions of wheel sizes.

As someone who's ridden 24" 26" and 650b back in the 80's I'm not stuck on wheel sizes, and have a completely open mind on all of them.

I read your post - but its still irrelevant - unless he gets a custom built frame he cant have a 26er in the style of bike he wants. I have a 26er HT and had a couple of full suss 26ers but dont think either of them compare to my new 27.5 but then they were from a different era too.

Buying advice about things you cant buy is not advice.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • JaseHawk
    JaseHawk Posts: 13
    OP logs on to buying advice forum and asks for buying advice.

Users request more details.

OP providers more details.

Users spend the next 10 replies questioning why he wants what he wants, providing little advice on what he is actually looking for.

Nice!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    User whines about other users.

Adds absolutely nothing to the conversation.

Nicer!
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Why 27.5 instead of 26?
    Because no one stocks 26 any more unless you want to build the bike yourself.

Remember all those posts two years ago that said 26 wasn't going anywhere? :)
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Why 27.5 instead of 26?
    Because no one stocks 26 any more unless you want to build the bike yourself.

They still exist. The Transition Suppressor is just one example which is very nice. Kona make a 26" full suspension bike as well. I think 26" is going to make a come back in freeride, jump, slopestyle etc because bigger wheels just don't work. I know one pro freerider using 26" wheels on his 650b DH bike because the gyroscopic effect of bigger wheels makes tricks harder.
    I wouldn't buy a 26" trail bike though.